"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 10-06-2008, 11:47 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Crock-Pot/Slow Cooker?

My oven is broken until someone can come fix it next week. So I'm thinking about getting a crock pot.. I've always wanted one so now I have an excuse
I am interested in the Set N Forget by Hamilton Beach, I almost got the Stay and Go by Hamilton Beach, but want to actually have some input about them.. I'm not totally set on those I just want one that is reliable and that can be turned on while I'm at work without causing a fire or burning/overcooking my food. Any help or advice is appreciated :)

Old 10-07-2008, 06:49 AM   #2
Master Chef

Site Moderator

Buy a name brand, Rival, Hamilton Beach, etc. DO NOT buy an off-brand. I did, though I'd save some $. I had it on for a few hours, whne to check it and brushed the sided of it and it was VERY VERY HOT to the touch. I got rid of that thing the next day. I have had my Rival for over 10 years now and it still works great. Glad I didn't toss it when I bought that newer bigger one. :-)

Old 10-07-2008, 10:59 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

My only input is; I have one that sits on the base/heating element and if I had to get one again, it would be the same style... if they still make them. I like being able to take the food right over to the table in the pot and set it down on a towel. When it cools off I will put plastic wrap over the pot, put the lid back on to make a seal, and stick it in the fridge. Then it can come from the fridge right back onto the heating plate when you are ready for leftovers. I find this style of slow cooker pretty handy. It is the low oblong style.

BTW... they make electric pressure cookers now that can double as slow cookers. They come with a different lid.... just a thought
Old 10-07-2008, 11:31 AM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

I remember reading a review that said the Cuisinart was a top rated model.
Old 10-07-2008, 11:36 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Here's the style I have Amazon.com: West Bend 84905 5-Quart Oblong-Shaped Slow Cooker: Home & Garden

It kind of makes me wonder though, where the difference between slow cooker and setting a pot on a hot plate on low occurs... I think true "crock pots" have the heating element go up the sides somewhat? This style has worked well for me though.
Old 10-07-2008, 11:39 AM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef

Check out this site for consumer reviews.