Crock Pot vs. Dutch Oven

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thank you all for your input. I was waiting to get a good/varied response from everyone.

It looks like my wife and myself are sticking with the crockpot. We've used them for over 7 years with no problem or complaints about the food. The last DO we had was Cast Aluminum. Didn't work very well with tomato based stews/sauces. As for an Enamel Coated DO. . . I keep reading reviews of the coating flaking off into the food. I guess there are pro's and con's to everything.

Ive never heard of enamel flaking off ... how could it?

Useful comments/advice I can always use. My mind was not made up starting this thread. Just because the majority of comments favor a DO does not mean I should be forced to agree. My wife and I discussed this again yesterday. I am handicapped. Picking up a hot DO from the oven that could weigh 25 lbs+ is not an option for me. My wife would be in the same boat. She has difficulty picking up our 20 lb. dog.

Although the prospect of owning a DO and using it would be nice, since this one is not dishwasher safe, it would be difficult cleaning it by hand in the sink.

Again, I thank everyone for their comments. Even from the peanut gallery.

You might want to think about getting an Instant Pot

Ive never heard of enamel flaking off ... how could it?
I'm glad you asked that question. Google "spalling resistance of ceramic coatings" and you will find links to documents such as this one:

https://www.seas.harvard.edu/hutchinson/papers/375.pdf

I used to work in the advanced ceramics industry, and one of the applications for the materials I was marketing was coatings for jet engine components. As you would expect, there is a lot of concern about the coatings possibly failing. There are a lot of steps in the processes, as well as the coating itself, that can lead to failure. With DOs, coating failure doesn't cause the problems that it could in aircraft.

But getting back down to the kitchen, there were reports of some chipping or flaking of some Lodge enameled CI reported in some of the reviews (I think it was seriouseats or ATK).

I'm glad you asked that question. Google "spalling resistance of ceramic coatings" and you will find links to documents such as this one:

https://www.seas.harvard.edu/hutchinson/papers/375.pdf

I used to work in the advanced ceramics industry, and one of the applications for the materials I was marketing was coatings for jet engine components. As you would expect, there is a lot of concern about the coatings possibly failing. There are a lot of steps in the processes, as well as the coating itself, that can lead to failure. With DOs, coating failure doesn't cause the problems that it could in aircraft.

Am I remembering correctly that the failure of a ceramic coating led to the explosion of the Challenger space shuttle?

Am I remembering correctly that the failure of a ceramic coating led to the explosion of the Challenger space shuttle?
I believe the Challenger disaster was related to a failed "o-ring". That flight failed during launch.

You might be thinking of the Columbia's 2003 disaster, in which the aircraft disintegrated during re-entry. That was due to a piece of foam coming loose during launch and striking the wing, which in turn caused some of the heat resistant ceramic tiles to break off. It wasn't an actual failure of the tiles themselves, though.

Useful comments/advice I can always use. My mind was not made up starting this thread. Just because the majority of comments favor a DO does not mean I should be forced to agree. My wife and I discussed this again yesterday. I am handicapped. Picking up a hot DO from the oven that could weigh 25 lbs+ is not an option for me. My wife would be in the same boat. She has difficulty picking up our 20 lb. dog.

Although the prospect of owning a DO and using it would be nice, since this one is not dishwasher safe, it would be difficult cleaning it by hand in the sink.

Again, I thank everyone for their comments. Even from the peanut gallery.

That is a bit of information it would have been nice to know. Cast iron DOs are heavy, and moving them from cooktop to oven is challenging, if you have a physical impediment. Knowing that would have changed my views, significantly.

I would still keep your DO, if you have storage space for it. It may be useful to you, some day.

CD

That is a bit of information it would have been nice to know. Cast iron DOs are heavy, and moving them from cooktop to oven is challenging, if you have a physical impediment. Knowing that would have changed my views, significantly.

I would still keep your DO, if you have storage space for it. It may be useful to you, some day.

CD

After all, it's quite functional on the stove top too. I use mine when I make chili, and I've also made braised short ribs on the stovetop too. Just a couple of examples out of the myriad possibilities.

I believe the Challenger disaster was related to a failed "o-ring". That flight failed during launch.

You might be thinking of the Columbia's 2003 disaster, in which the aircraft disintegrated during re-entry. That was due to a piece of foam coming loose during launch and striking the wing, which in turn caused some of the heat resistant ceramic tiles to break off. It wasn't an actual failure of the tiles themselves, though.
Yes, I think that's it. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom