Crock-pot's too short

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

inchrisin

Senior Cook
I have a crock pot that's not big enough for a pork shoulder. I can put the shoulder in the pot, but the lid won't close up. I'm wondering what would happen if I put a lot of aluminum foil over the whole thing and poke a few holes in the top to prevent condensation from getting everywhere.

Thoughts?

That might work, but if you're going to be making a bunch of big things like that in the future, I think I'd get a bigger crockpot.

I did that too, many years ago. It was okay and it worked, but the next day I went out and bought a much bigger crockpot for things like this. I ended up with four crockpots, ideally suited to whatever I was cooking.

Foil's okay but try to keep that space between the lid and the base sealed as much as possible. And check for drying; you might have to turn it during cooking a few times to keep it from drying out.

Just roast it in the oven, low and slow. I've made pork shoulder this way many times and it always comes out perfect.

This is what I'd do. Put it in the oven in a covered pot or dutch oven (or wrapped in foil) at about 250°F to 275° F (121°C to 133°C) for 5 or 6 hours.

Then if you think you'll actually need it, buy a larger crock pot before the next time.

I use the oven too. Works great.

However, if you want to use the slow cooker, you cold cut the meat into two or three pieces so it will fit better.

This is what I'd do. Put it in the oven in a covered pot or dutch oven (or wrapped in foil) at about 250°F to 275° F (121°C to 133°C) for 5 or 6 hours.

Then if you think you'll actually need it, buy a larger crock pot before the next time.

I like to cook it uncovered at 225ºF-250ºF so you get a nice bark on it.

I like to cook it uncovered at 225ºF-250ºF so you get a nice bark on it.

The bark is the best part. I was thinking about leaving it uncovered at the end or turning up the temp at the end. Maybe I'll just leave it uncovered. I'll inject it with Coke, (for the first time).

Back
Top Bottom