Crockpot Issue?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chef Munky

Honey Badger
The handle on my Crock Pot just crumbled in my hand as I was pulling it out of the cabinet.

What I have now is a screw that's sticking out. Sharp one at that!
I don't see a way to remove it. The screw feels like it wants to slip back into the metal base.

If it does that, is it now a safety issue?
It's ok if it needs to be tossed. We do have a back up.

Just curious is all.

Hm. When one of my CP's lid handle fell apart, I happened to have a ceramic drawer handle that fit perfectly on the lid, it screwed right into the original lid hole.

I tend to jerry-rig stuff that works. Do you have a chunk of wood and a drill to make a hole to screw it on?

I see no safety issues.

Last edited:
Hm. When one of my CP's lid handle fell apart, I happened to have a ceramic drawer handle that fit perfectly on the lid, it screwed right into the original lid hole.

I tend to jerry-rig stuff that works. Do you have a chunk of wood and a drill to make a hole to screw it on?

I see no safety issues.

Dawg, it sounds like a handle you pick up the crock pot with, not the lid handle.

Munky, I'm not very mechanically inclined, so I'm not sure if it would cause a safety problem or not. Hopefully the Chief or another person with more knowledge will weigh in.

Dawg, it sounds like a handle you pick up the crock pot with, not the lid handle.

Munky, I'm not very mechanically inclined, so I'm not sure if it would cause a safety problem or not. Hopefully the Chief or another person with more knowledge will weigh in.

GG, I realize that, I was just giving an example of what might be possible. I see no reason why you couldn't jerry-rig a handle for the CP side.

That screw was put in the outer shell before the inside layer was put on. There probably is no way to remove it. I would try and add a new handle, but the screw may be loose and turn with any pressure you would put on it. See if you can get a cheaper cabinet, cupboard knob or something that may have a thread in it so you can get it started with out too much pressure. Good luck..

Now you all have me curious, and I'm hauling out my CPs to look. DH calls me his McGuyver, I can usually fix anything.

If nothing else, wire and duct tape can fix just about anything.

Last edited:
OK. Easy peasy. If the screw is loose, just force it down the hole and screw in another handle as Rock said. It won't hurt the interior of the CP.

But if you want a new CP, then plead ignorant and tell your DH it's broken and unfixable.

OK. Easy peasy. If the screw is loose, just force it down the hole and screw in another handle as Rock said. It won't hurt the interior of the CP.

But if you want a new CP, then plead ignorant and tell your DH it's broken and unfixable.

I'd want to be absolutely certain that the screw doesn't fall in against the heating element. Is there any way to know how well covered or insulated that is?

If nothing else, wire and duct tape can fix just about anything.

Spoken like true survivor and makeitworkdagnabbitnomatterwhatittakescheapskate like myself. :punk:

Munky, You can take it apart to get to the screw head if you really want to but it is a PITA to do.

You can also attempt to attach a new handle by gluing the screw in place so it doesn't move (this is also a PITA) and then screwing on the new handle.

I see no safety issue except the sharp screw sticking out and your being cut on it. :(

But It's a Crock Pot and they are rather cheap.
As miserly (Cheap SOB.) as I am. My best advice is to keep using it as is or if that bothers you to simply invest in a new one. ;)

:LOL: Great minds and all, Zagut!

I just can't see throwing away a perfectly good appliance.

:LOL: Great minds and all, Zagut!

Dawgluver, "Great minds" and "Zagut" do not belong in the same sentence. :bangin:

Never have and never will. ;)

I just can't see throwing away a perfectly good appliance.

My collection of half broken junk will prove that I agree with you.

At times I see my home as the last stop for way too many things. :blush:

Why throw crap away? Nothing wrong with saving stuff....

My former neighbor, who was the Yard Sale Queen, no longer lives next door as she divorced. I don't do Craigslist or Ebay.

Last edited:
The heating coils for the cooker are on the bottom of the device. Any parts that fell to the bottom inside the cooker could cause a problem with the heating coils.

Nothing will probably explode or catch on fire with a screw loose. I wouldn't mind taking the whole thing apart, but I sort of like to do that.

I am about appliance savvy as the family dog Teddy. Saying this, (and I am sure there are those who will jump down my throat) why not get a pair of vice grips, grab the screw and try to unscrew it. At least it won't fall into the inside. At the worst, if it can't be unscrewed, then yank it out like you would a bad tooth. :angel:

I am about appliance savvy as the family dog Teddy. Saying this, (and I am sure there are those who will jump down my throat) why not get a pair of vice grips, grab the screw and try to unscrew it. At least it won't fall into the inside. At the worst, if it can't be unscrewed, then yank it out like you would a bad tooth. :angel:

Not a bad idea, Addie. But I suspect the pointy end of the screw is sticking out, and the screw head is inside, so it would take some major yanking to get it out, and Munky would end up with a much bigger hole in her CP.

Not a bad idea, Addie. But I suspect the pointy end of the screw is sticking out, and the screw head is inside, so it would take some major yanking to get it out, and Munky would end up with a much bigger hole in her CP.

Well, that shoots that idea down. But I don't give up that easily. Aren't the electrical coils at the bottom covered so that when you take out the pot itself, they are not exposed? If so what if the danger of just letting the screw fall down inside? :angel:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom