"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 02-26-2010, 06:03 PM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

i made beef vegetable soup a couple of days ago. used my new extra heavy dutch oven. crockpot just boils it to death even on low. also keep fire underneath as i added veg. so easier to get all of them cooking. crockpot has to heat the whole thing to reach cooking temp. soup was wonderful, brown meat in the do and then deglazed with red wine. then the vegs. some beef broth and can of diced tomatoes. didn't mush everything as the crockpot does. am interested in pressure cooker buys.

Old 02-26-2010, 06:08 PM   #22
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Annie View Post
Crockpot! I had a good pressure cooker, but it does take constant watching. Cooking for just 2 of us it was overkill.
I'm betting you had one of the older Pressure Cookers? I'm using a new 4 quart with 3 or 4 levels of safety. I love it! I must use it at least 4 times a week. Prefect brown rice in 15 mins - thank you Pressure Cooker.

But like I said above, I'll keep my slow cooker too - thank you. I'm even thinking about getting the model I mention above or least one that will go into warm mode - all by itself. Waking up to cooked oatmeal and rasins is nice.

Old 02-26-2010, 06:29 PM   #23
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by babetoo View Post
am interested in pressure cooker buys.
My choice over which pressure cooker to buy was part of a bigger decision. I am getting rid or all plastic, aluminum and non-stick coated cookware in my kitchen. I even gave away my microwave to charity and replaced it with a mid-size convection oven (about $80).

I bought the Fagor Duo 4 and 8 quart set. 10 year warranty – these babies are made to last a lifetime, several safety features and pretty darn easy to use. They weren’t cheap, but good stainless steel cookware never is. Be sure to also get a steamer and pan insert – they are very handy to have. My set came with a super nice glass lid and pasta insert – so the 8 quart is cooking pasta while I’m cooking meat sauce in the 4 quart.

Did you know you can cook bread and cheesecake in a Pressure cooker?