"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 02-14-2006, 03:29 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Crockpot VS Pressure cooker

Hi all...

I am in the market for a new Crockpot. One of my relatives recently told me that she is doing alot of cooking these days with a pressure cooker.

Personally I have never tried cooking with a pressure cooker. Her saying is that pressure cooker is same as crockpot but just does it in less time.

Is that actually true? Does the chicken fall off the bone like it does in a crockpot after cooking?

FYI... I use the crock pot mainly for things like chicken cacciatore, meatballs, stews etc...

Thanks for the advice...

Old 02-14-2006, 10:54 AM   #2
Master Chef

Crockpots and pressure cookers are 2 totally different ways of cooking and, IMO, not interchangebale.

But, sure, you can cook chicken 'til it's fallinf off the bone pretty quick in a pressure cooker.

You can also cook chicken till it's falling off the bone on the stove or in the oven in less time than in a crockpot.

Crockpots are a "set it and forget it" concept. A pressure cooker needs constant attention.

Old 02-14-2006, 08:23 PM   #3
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to BigDog Send a message via Yahoo to BigDog
And some things were just meant to be cooked slowly!
Old 02-14-2006, 09:09 PM   #4
Executive Chef

A crock pot uses the same basic concepts as slow braising in an oven. Slow and low.

A pressure cooker uses steam and pressure, and also increases the boiling point of liquids to create more heat. The more steam that's created, the more the pressure builds up and the combination of steam, heat, and pressure goes into the food, cooking it and tenderizing it at a much more accelerated rate than normal braising or simmering.

Personally, I prefer neither. I'd rather braise on the range top or in the oven.
Old 02-14-2006, 11:21 PM   #5
Cook

If you must have one or the other, I'd pick the crockpot for its versatilety. I can think of many more complete meals that can be prepared in one than what can be done with a pressure cooker (usually used as a tenderizer of tough cuts of meat which are subsequently used in the preparation of a meal). However, as the others have mentioned, you can do anything a crockpot does with your existing oven.
Old 02-23-2006, 10:04 AM   #6
Executive Chef

I think they're BOTH good!!

Pressure cookers will shave a considerable amount of cooking time off things like dried beans, beef stew, short ribs and pot roasts.

Slow cookers, on the other hand, allow you to slow-cook your favorite roasts, stews and soups all day while you are out. You then come home later to a mouth-watering tasty room-smelling home-cooked meal.

I got both. Actually, I got two pressure cookers and two slow cookers!!

~Corey123.
Old 02-23-2006, 12:28 PM   #7
Assistant Cook

pressure cookers will neutralize some viamins. But they sure make short work of a pot of dried beans.

my mother used hers daily - she was 4'11 I grew nto 6'4". I guess the vitamin deal is no big deal.
Old 02-23-2006, 01:35 PM   #8
Senior Cook

Send a message via ICQ to Billdolfski Send a message via AIM to Billdolfski Send a message via MSN to Billdolfski Send a message via Yahoo to Billdolfski
Both are indispenable. They both serve different purposes.
Old 02-23-2006, 05:32 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billdolfski
Both are indispenable. They both serve different purposes.

Yes they do!

It all depends on your own personal preferences.

~Corey123.
Old 02-26-2006, 11:33 PM   #10
Assistant Cook

Smile Pressure cooker!

The pressure cooker is great! You can come home late and still have dinner on the table in an hour at the most. Even if you forgot to start the crock pot.

We use ours for Pot Roast with the carrots, potatoes and parsnips added in the last 5 minutes, Stroganoff in 20 minutes, made with stew meat, (no cutting up the meat and it's so tender!!) with noodles added the last 5 minutes, Pasta with meat sauce cooked in one pot, risotto, stew, and lot of other dishes. It saves a fortune because you can cook with cheaper cuts of meat..... saves money on energy because you can reduce the heat to low as soon as you reach pressure and cook for a shorter period of time....... and saves even more money because you aren't eating out as often. You know you can prepare a great meal quickly once you get home. One pot meals absorb the cooking juices in pastas and vegetables and are delicious and satisfying. I've also read that vitamins are retained better.

I admit it, I'm a fan of pressure cooking. The cookbook by Lorna Sass, Pressure Perfect is helpful when learning.

I've never really cared for the flavors that developed in a lot of crock pot dishes. Not to mention the dried out, over cooked meats. And the worry of leaving an appliance plugged in all day while no one is home but the pups.

Anyway that's my vote!