Cuisinart 14 piece S/S cookware set

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

popeye59

Assistant Cook
OK, so I didn't get any new cookware yet. I did see a Cuisinart 14 piece S/S cookware set at the Navy Exchange for $179.99 and I have a scratch off card that will give me at a minimum of 5% off and no sales tax at the Exchange. Pretty sure that's a decent deal, just not sure if I really want to go S/S. Is it that big of a learning curve if you are going from a nonstick set to S/S?

OK, so I didn't get any new cookware yet. I did see a Cuisinart 14 piece S/S cookware set at the Navy Exchange for $179.99 and I have a scratch off card that will give me at a minimum of 5% off and no sales tax at the Exchange. Pretty sure that's a decent deal, just not sure if I really want to go S/S. Is it that big of a learning curve if you are going from a nonstick set to S/S?

The only time there is an important difference is when you are using a skillet to fry or sauté. Saucepans are typically a non-issue for SS vs. Non-stick.

If the set is multi-clad (tri-ply) this sounds like a great deal. Grab it. You won't do better.

That's Cuisinart's Classic line. These pots and pans have a body of single ply SS with a disk on the pan bottom with an aluminum center. These pans can do well on an electric stove.

Some of the pieces can be an issue on a gas burner. Because the skillets have curved sides, the flat part of the bottom is smaller where the disk is attached so the disk is smaller. If you turn up the flame, it can go beyond the edge of the disk and heat up the single ply SS causing the food to burn in the pan. This is also true on smaller pots and pans.

If you have electric, it's not a bad set.

Personally I don't think there's much use for anything but a non-stick skillet or two. Definitely no need for non-stick in this set.

I had a similar set. That's how I discovered this issue. I gave the set to my daughter and bought tri-ply.

Cuisinart or a different brand?

I have a mix. Some All-Clad, some Kirkland (Costco), some Tramontina, some Calphalon, etc. I have gone with tri-ply SS as my first choice. I also have some cast iron and enameled CI, carbon steel.

I have some Chefs Classic pieces, two saute pans and two skillets. They work well for me, on my gas stove. And yes, there is a learning curve going from non-stick to SS. Nothing a touch more oil and not trying to flip your food too soon won't cure.
If you want all those pieces, I say go for it.

And then there is the 10 piece Simply Calphalon sets in Hard Annodized and S/S, either for $135.99

Calphalon Simply Hard Anodized 10-Pc Cookware Set SA10H

Calphalon Cookware Set 1757697

The 10 piece Rachel Ray (not a big fan of her colors and not swayed by celebrity named stuff), for $109.99 (after a $40 mail in rebate)

Rachael Ray 13486 Orange 10Piece Set Porcelain Enamel

And the Kitchenaid 10 piece sets in S/S and Hard Annodized for $159.00 and both also come with a bonus 4qt covered sauce pan.

KitchenAid 10pc Stainless Steel Cookware Set-75656 75656 at Kitchen Collection's Cookware Section

Talk about information overload.

Of I could just forgo the NEX and hit Bed Bath and Beyond (got a 20% off coupon for them but they have even more options to confuse me with.

hello

i mostly cook with SS interior. i have 3 types.. copper+SS; tri-ply(Cuisinart Mulitclad); Aluminium-Disk+SS .. my experience is that the copper+SS & tri-ply outperform the Alum-disk+SS by enough of an amount to make the tri-ply a better choice. sides of the alum-disk+SS tend to heat differently from bottom and sometimes oil gets burnt which means more hard-cleaning. more importantly, food might come out a bit less evenly on saute items. note. for liquid dishes (sauces,soups) the alum-disk is fine. so i would wait till you get the Cuinsiart multiclad set on sale (alternatively, Tramontina has some good tri-ply at really good prices).

Back
Top Bottom