"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 12-09-2008, 01:16 PM   #1
Head Chef

Deep Fryer Recommendations

Hello All,
DH would like a deep fryer for Christmas. I've looked at them in the store and read a few reviews on line but thought I would ask here, people I know will give it to me straight.

So ... for the home cook looking to fry chicken, fries, chips, fish and various appetizers, which fryer would YOU recommend? The ones with 2 fry sections intrigue me but what are the chances you are frying to different things at the same time?

Thank you!

Old 12-09-2008, 01:54 PM   #2
Sous Chef

I'm not going to name anything specific, but here are a few things I would look for:

1 - Filtered lid, help keep the stinky down.
2 - Removable oil bucket for easier clean-up.
3 - Built-in T'stat to help maintain proper temp.
4 - I would avoid a small frier, as the higher oil-to-food ratio will help maintain a constant temp.

Old 12-09-2008, 01:54 PM   #3
Senior Cook

I have a couple one from Waring and one from Masterbuilt. The Masterbuilt is the one I use the most. I deep fried a turkey this past Thanksgiving and it was really good.

This is an indoor electric deep fryer that holds about two gallons of oil, if you like you can replace the oil with water and use it to boil foods, I like to do a seafood boil.

There is a spout to drain the oil and the clean up is quick and easy. The price on these are crazy. The internet list them at $119.00, Acadamy had them for $69.95 before Thanksgiving, my brother was try to buy one this week for a XMas gift but can't find any in town.

They are generally carried by Target, WalMart,

Hope this helps
Old 12-09-2008, 02:49 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

I have this deep fryer. I like its large oil capacity and deep basket. All the parts except for the electronics go in the DW for cleaning.
Old 12-09-2008, 02:56 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

How does the DW work for you, Andy? My DW barely touches any of the deep fryer components I put in it, but I don't put them in after each use either.

And I have a Waring Pro. It's OK. If they still make them, I would try to find one of those sealed up T-Fal fryers.
Old 12-09-2008, 03:01 PM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef

Some of the oil is caked on and the DW doesn't touch that. For the tough stuff I use BKF and Dawn Power Dissolver, then into the DW.
Old 12-09-2008, 03:17 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Thanks. Same here.
My next tear down I'm going to try Greased Lightening.
Old 12-09-2008, 03:25 PM   #8
Head Chef

Thank you everybody! I appreciate your quick responses!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I have this deep fryer. I like its large oil capacity and deep basket. All the parts except for the electronics go in the DW for cleaning.
I really like the DW part Andy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacanis
If they still make them, I would try to find one of those sealed up T-Fal fryers.
I was looking at a T-Fal fryer at the same time I was looking at a Fry Daddy. If I remember right, they were both sealed. Is the T-Fal a good one?
Old 12-09-2008, 03:35 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

I still have one that's 25 years old. I used it up to a couple years ago when I got my Waring Pro. The TFal fryer is a lot cleaner to use and the kitchen/house doesn't smell up near as much. The downfall with mine was the capacity (I was getting into frying wings at the time) and the recovery time. That was it. Now that I can compare using another deep fryer, if I was going to buy again I would look into that TFal one you mentioned. I can only guess they improved on the antique I have....
I'm going to check it out now. I didn't know they still made them.
Old 12-09-2008, 03:47 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Hey.... They make some nice deep fryers :^)
I would call them and see if they still actually seal, or if the lid merely closes or sets in place.
And one point of note; Supposedly the heating element in the oil is better for recovery time, but it's also messier. One more thing to lift out and deal with when you are changing oil. I didn't see anything at Amazon saying or showing either of those things.