"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 10-07-2006, 02:46 PM   #11
Certified Pretend Chef

The sticks will not burn. The water in the wok keeps the metal from getting too hot.

The bamboo steamers sit down in the wok with a space below for water. They come with their own lid so you don't need to use the wok cover when using a bamboo steamer. If the steamer fits into the wok, it will work. I have seen a multi tiered steamer stacked 6-8 levels high in a wok.

Old 10-07-2006, 03:23 PM   #12
Assistant Cook

So you are saying that the bamboo steamer should big enough to be sitting (typo, not hitting) on the entire wok?

Old 10-07-2006, 03:44 PM   #13
Certified Pretend Chef

Not sure what you mean.

The steamer is not as big around as the wok. Your wok is 12 inches wide and the steamers are 8"-10" wide. That's good. The steamers sit in the wok, not on the wok. When you place the steamers in the wok they will sit on the inner surface of the wok where the sides curve in near the bottom.
Old 10-07-2006, 04:22 PM   #14
Assistant Cook

Sorry for the typo above, it should have been read as "So you are saying that the bamboo steamer should big enough to be sitting on the entire wok?" Should the heat be turned all the way up, or just enough to get some steam? If steaming meat in one, and vegetables in the other, which goes on top and which on the bottom? Or is the steam heat even in both tiers? Are there any advantages (or disadvantages) using a bamboo steamer over a metal rack?
Old 10-07-2006, 05:08 PM   #15
Certified Pretend Chef

The items that take longer to cook should be on the bottom. The meat in the bottom and the veggies in the top.

The water needs to be boiling to make maximum steam.

I think you are better off with the bamboo steamers. They will contain the steam and the heat better than the rack.
Old 10-08-2006, 05:20 AM   #16
Assistant Cook

Does the bamboo steamer require washing after use? Or only if something spill over it from the top tier? Also, does it absorb smell such as fish? Or will the steam kill off any smell that maybe in or on the bamboo steamer?
Old 10-08-2006, 10:12 AM   #17
Certified Pretend Chef

Just wash off any spills. Don't worry about smells. Food is usually placed in the steamer on a small plate or a banana leaf or similar.
Old 10-11-2006, 07:38 AM   #18
Assistant Cook

Missed one. Would be great if someone could answer.
Quote:
When stir-frying with a non-stick wok, does it follow the same rules as the carbon steels: Heat it up, then add oil?
Or may I add oil on the cold non-stick wok and start cooking?
Old 10-11-2006, 09:23 AM   #19
Certified Pretend Chef

You may do either.
Old 10-11-2006, 09:30 AM   #20
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
Andy M. have you seen those C shaped racks that sit on the edge of the wok Inside it, they hook onto the lip of the wok itself, are They steam racks also?
all the PTFE type woks I had in the past came with one, and I just threw them away (never saw a use for them).

I use a stainless steel wok now (I can even smoke in this baby :))
I should have kept them really or joined this site years ago :)

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote