Deep frying and steaming with a wok

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

anticuchos

Assistant Cook
1. I know it is okay to deep dry with a carbon steel wok. But what about a non-stick one? Is it okay? 2. Is anything required to be placed between the wok and bamboo steamer? Or does the bamboo steamer sit directly on the wok? 3. Is it safe to use a metal steamer rack (I think that is what it is called) on the wok? Would the two metals touching each other in boiling water cause the wok to start peeling things off or either metal to give off chemicals?

Don't use a metal rack. It will scratch the surface possibly, as you say. And deep frying --be sure to put theoil in. Do not heat a non-stick pan without oil or something in it. Just learned that from Martin Yan this week-end.

The bamboo steamer sits in the wok. The water under the steamer should be so high it touches the steamer bottom.

Steaming in a non-stick wok is no problem. As Gretchens said, put the oil in then heat it up. Using the metal rack will not cause peeling of the nonstick surface unless you deeply scratch the non-stick with the rack.

I have heard a lot about Deep Drying And Steaming With A Wok. I have never used one but by the various comments from our cooks and chefs it might be something I would be interested in buying.

Thank you.

Okay, thanks. Another thing. When stir-frying with a non-stick wok, does it follow the same rules as the carbon steels: Heat it up, then add oil? Oh, almost forgot, what would be a safe thing to use if I want to steam a plate of something that cannot be done with a bamboo steamer?

Last edited:
Place two chopsticks across the bottom of the wok. Where the fit against the sides there will be some room below for the water. Rest the plate on the chopsticks, cover and steam.

Should the water line be below, right on, or above the chopsticks? Same goes for the bamboo steamer. Also, what type of chopsticks is prefered? Wood, bamboo, or plastic?

Use enough water so that it won't run out while you are preparing your meal. Up to the steamer is fine. Use wood/bamboo.

So, likely, the water line would be below the chopsticks. Would the wooden or bamboo chopsticks catch fire or just have burn marks? I ask because wood is touching the metal. Sorry if it it a stupid question. My chemistry is very poor. About the bamboo steamer. I saw some that are like 8-10" wide for sale. I have a 12" wok. I suspect the wok cover (shelf spherical) would not be able to enclose it completely. These are the decent-sized bamboo steamers I was interested in. But I do not think it would work with my wok. Are bamboo steamers meant for large woks?

The sticks will not burn. The water in the wok keeps the metal from getting too hot.

The bamboo steamers sit down in the wok with a space below for water. They come with their own lid so you don't need to use the wok cover when using a bamboo steamer. If the steamer fits into the wok, it will work. I have seen a multi tiered steamer stacked 6-8 levels high in a wok.

So you are saying that the bamboo steamer should big enough to be sitting (typo, not hitting) on the entire wok?

Last edited:
Not sure what you mean.

The steamer is not as big around as the wok. Your wok is 12 inches wide and the steamers are 8"-10" wide. That's good. The steamers sit in the wok, not on the wok. When you place the steamers in the wok they will sit on the inner surface of the wok where the sides curve in near the bottom.

Sorry for the typo above, it should have been read as "So you are saying that the bamboo steamer should big enough to be sitting on the entire wok?" Should the heat be turned all the way up, or just enough to get some steam? If steaming meat in one, and vegetables in the other, which goes on top and which on the bottom? Or is the steam heat even in both tiers? Are there any advantages (or disadvantages) using a bamboo steamer over a metal rack?

The items that take longer to cook should be on the bottom. The meat in the bottom and the veggies in the top.

The water needs to be boiling to make maximum steam.

I think you are better off with the bamboo steamers. They will contain the steam and the heat better than the rack.

Does the bamboo steamer require washing after use? Or only if something spill over it from the top tier? Also, does it absorb smell such as fish? Or will the steam kill off any smell that maybe in or on the bamboo steamer?

Just wash off any spills. Don't worry about smells. Food is usually placed in the steamer on a small plate or a banana leaf or similar.

Missed one. Would be great if someone could answer.
When stir-frying with a non-stick wok, does it follow the same rules as the carbon steels: Heat it up, then add oil?
Or may I add oil on the cold non-stick wok and start cooking?

Andy M. have you seen those C shaped racks that sit on the edge of the wok Inside it, they hook onto the lip of the wok itself, are They steam racks also?
all the PTFE type woks I had in the past came with one, and I just threw them away (never saw a use for them).

I use a stainless steel wok now (I can even smoke in this baby :))
I should have kept them really or joined this site years ago :)

Back
Top Bottom