"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 04-22-2012, 09:48 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Deep Frying Mess

I like to deep fry using regular pots/pans vs. a deep fryer. That said, every time I deep fry, the vessel i use becomes covered with grease that is impossible to remove.

Here is an example of what happened to the new wok that I bought this weekend. Used it for deep frying today and now it's got all this grease on it. Tried bar keeper's friend and a billow pad...seems like too much work for every time i want to deep fry.

What am I doing wrong??? Is this normal?

Thanks!!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo-8.JPG
Views:	116
Size:	119.4 KB
ID:	13558  

Old 04-22-2012, 09:57 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Easy Off oven cleaner, or a competing (caustic) product. Spray it (preferably outside), let it sit 15-20 minutes, scrub it clean, put it away.

Might be bad for non-stick surfaces.

Old 04-22-2012, 10:01 PM   #3
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Pick one pan to deep fry in and never scrub it clean.

Oven cleaner on the other pans as stated above.
Old 04-22-2012, 10:03 PM   #4
Honey Badger

Is your wok stainless steel? If so try using an SOS pad on it. You can find them in the cleaning section.

Munky.
Old 04-22-2012, 10:08 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

I've tried SOS no luck. Can I just use this wok as a dedicated fryer and not obsess over removing the grease? Doesn't sound very sanitary. Is the oven spray better/worse than BAr Keepers friend (which doesn't seem to work as well as others make seem). Thx
Old 04-22-2012, 10:12 PM   #6
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

When a cast iron pan is seasoned, what you have there is the coating the cast iron has. It's completely sanitary, especially at the temps needed for deep frying. You just need to wash it to get the still unbaked oil off. Dedicating a pan is the best choice if you want to deep fry.
Old 04-22-2012, 10:17 PM   #7
Honey Badger

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbari View Post
I've tried SOS no luck. Can I just use this wok as a dedicated fryer and not obsess over removing the grease? Doesn't sound very sanitary. Is the oven spray better/worse than BAr Keepers friend (which doesn't seem to work as well as others make seem). Thx
Absolutely, but your going to have to change the oils eventually. Soaking it overnight in a diluted solution of Ammonia and water. The next day wipe it down with a good scrubber & hot water. I've had no problem getting grease off my stove top grates doing it by that method. Less work.
Old 04-22-2012, 10:25 PM   #8
Certified Pretend Chef

If your wok is carbon steel, it should be seasoned before use. The seasoning is added to with every use. A wok should not be scrubbed shiny clean after each use.

Seasoning is done by baking on thin coats of fat (oil or shortening) that change chemically to a hard smooth surface and act as a protective layer that is also non-stick, exactly the same as seasoning a cast iron skillet.

Those brown and black areas that you didn't scrub off are the beginnings of seasoning.
Old 04-22-2012, 10:47 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbari View Post
Can I just use this wok as a dedicated fryer and not obsess over removing the grease? Doesn't sound very sanitary.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Seasoning is done by baking on thin coats of fat (oil or shortening) that change chemically to a hard smooth surface and act as a protective layer that is also non-stick, exactly the same as seasoning a cast iron skillet.

Those brown and black areas that you didn't scrub off are the beginnings of seasoning.
I doubt there's any sanitary issues with the baked on oils. They've been cooked at hundreds of degrees and are probably destroyed as to providing any nutrient value to bacteria or other organisms. I've had a cast iron skillet that has gone for many years with nothing more than scrubbing with a nylon pad and no soap. This is not an attractive surface for bacteria, particularly after the Easy Off treatment.

I think this stuff is mostly cosmetic. You could just ignore it unless you're fastidious. I'm fastidious. You can hardly even see this stuff on cast iron, although more so on stainless steel.

My advice is either ignore it or use a caustic oven cleaning spray.