"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 10-21-2006, 09:48 AM   #11
Assistant Cook

Lightbulb Cleaning Descoware

Hi,

I do not own any descoware as of yet(biding on some now). However, I do own several Le Creuset pieces which is vary similar to this. I have put mine through the ringer considering I was only 18 when I bought it and it still looks like brand new. It is my favorite cookware. They cook very evenly but the thing to remember is they heat fast and hold their heat VERY well. Keep that in mind when simmering food.The only thing I do to keep mine clean is use baking soda on tough stains. Most things will wipe out with no problem but if you get something like the rust or a bad burnt on stain make you a thick paste of baking soda and water and coat the pan let it stand for about an hour then fill the pan with water. Let it sit overnight and next morning you can run a washcloth over it and it is brand new. I love doing this because I dont like using chemicals on my cookware. Something about chemicals and food i havent liked..lol. Best of luck with your cookware.

Old 10-10-2008, 03:14 AM   #12
Assistant Cook

I have a lot of cast iron, black original stuff, and the Orange Flame Descoware enamel.

I am allergic to HYDROGENATED OIL, AKA TRANS FATS. So, I season my cast iron with NATURAL PALM OIL SHORTENING. I get it at WHOLE FOODS. There are a few brands available. Make sure the shortening smells good. If it smells odd, it is RANCID, and DO NOT USE IT!!!! If It has no bad taste, it will work great.

I grease up the pots inside and out lightly, with some shortening on a paper towel. Rub it around throroughly.

Place a baking sheet, (cookie pan) on the bottom oven rack to catch any drippings. I put the cast iron pot, pan or dutch oven on the baking sheet, in the oven and let it bake at 300 degrees, NO HOTTER! for about an hour.

Let it cool wipe off the excess oil, and store it. I don't let them stand for months. Any oiling gets odd in time. So take them out if you haven't used them in a while, rinse off and dry on the range on low, or back in the oven. They stay in great condition that way!

To wash after using, I use plain dishsoap and rinse well, and if they get gummy or something burns or sticks on them I like BON AMI or BarKeepers Friend. But DO NOT LET THEM SOAK, DO NOT LEAVE THEM WET or they WILL RUST! I will use olive oil as a light coating, but only if I know I will use the pan again in a day or two. Otherwise OIL will go rancid on the pots in time. You can reseason when needed. In time a great darker patina happens. Then it rarely needs reseasoning unless you scrub it off!

I love them. The enamel doesn't need that kind of seasoning, unless parts of the cast irom shows. You can treat those areas the same way!

The taste of the food is better in the original cast iron, in my opinion, but the cleanup is so much easier in the enamels!

Candy
ENJOY!

Old 10-16-2008, 03:15 AM   #13
Assistant Cook

I am trying to find the code list for Descoware, so I can tell what sizes the pots and lids are by their numbers. Any ideas where I can get this?

Candy
Old 11-08-2010, 12:36 AM   #14
Assistant Cook

Stains on DESCOWARE ENAMEL

I have used BON AMI the original one, not the polishing one. Make a paste with water, and put it on the area and let sit over night and wash off. If that doesn't work, you can soak it with bleach and water, this once. It is not a good idea to use bleach much on enamel cause over time it will weaken it, but I have done it a couple of times for touch staining, and it worked just fine. I have a lot of DESCOWARE all from different purchases in the past two years. Thrift shops, garage sales, craigslist, ebay, and they are all great pieces. If they have any black cast iron showing I put some SPECTRUM PALM OIL SHORTENING (with NO hydrogenated oils) on the black areas, and heat to 300 degrees in the oven for about a half hour. That will protect it from rusting again.

ENJOY!!!http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...ilies/chef.gif

Candy
Old 11-08-2010, 01:56 AM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by barefootsdesigns View Post
Hi,

I do not own any descoware as of yet(biding on some now). However, I do own several Le Creuset pieces which is vary similar to this. I have put mine through the ringer considering I was only 18 when I bought it and it still looks like brand new. It is my favorite cookware. They cook very evenly but the thing to remember is they heat fast and hold their heat VERY well. Keep that in mind when simmering food.The only thing I do to keep mine clean is use baking soda on tough stains. Most things will wipe out with no problem but if you get something like the rust or a bad burnt on stain make you a thick paste of baking soda and water and coat the pan let it stand for about an hour then fill the pan with water. Let it sit overnight and next morning you can run a washcloth over it and it is brand new. I love doing this because I dont like using chemicals on my cookware. Something about chemicals and food i havent liked..lol. Best of luck with your cookware.
I agree to use baking soda. It's what I use on my Copco enamelled cast iron cookware. It is probably more like the Descoware because it has the naked cast iron on the bottom too. I have a rust stain from stacking a pot on its lid. Now I make sure the naked cast iron doesn't touch the enamel.
Old 11-08-2010, 02:00 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEFSElover View Post
I used to work in the Housewares department of Gemco.
Most of you won't know that name. It's like WalMart Supercenter.
Anyway, we sold DescoWare by the oodles and it was wonderful stuff, but even back then, very pricey. (the store I worked in was in a movie star neighborhood and Lana Turner or Charlton Heston didn't seem to notice).

I agree with Choclatechef about how to clean. We sold Bartenders/Barkeepers Friend even in that department, as a users' guide for how to clean this great cookware. I too have purchased many wonderful finds of DescoWare in thrift stores. I have had similar problems with rust and it will come off and not damage your treasures but be sure to use a soft hand and don't rub too hard. Also, if you cook something like chili or stew or something that discolors your off white interior, I have filled up the whole pot, after washing it, with water and 2 tablespoons of bleach, simmer on low, then turn off, and let it sit for hours. I came back to a completely clean and bright inside again. If you don't want to use bleach, do the same with washing it out first, then using a Babbo or Ajax or something similar to that, softly scrubbing the entire inside, then leave that cleanser in there and fill up with water. Turn stove on, let water inside get good and hot, turn it off and let set. The bleach from the cleanser will brighten it up just like plain liquid bleach.

On a topic that also involves rust, is black cast iron cookware. A friend of mine, years ago, told me she always bought her cast iron heavy stuff, whatever brand, from Thrift stores whenever she saw something there she wanted. Her secret for preventing rust was to wash it, then put it on the stove over flame for a few minutes until she was she there wasn't a drop of water on it. She did something similar for existing rust if it was present on her purchase. She washed it down as best she could, then put the cast iron piece in the fireplace while a fire was going. NOT THE DESCOWARE, but rather just plain black cast iron skillets etc. This is just mentioned as a seasoning tip for future notice.
[/b]
I wouldn't use bleach or cleanser. I haven't tried them on enamelled cast iron, but I know what they do to tea cups. They eat off the shine, not the first time you do it, but with repeated use. I recommend baking soda.