"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 10-26-2011, 01:13 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
...I assumed that was oil residue. That assumption is reinforced by the fact that my pan is unchanged. If this rusting is so slow that I can't see a practical or visual difference, who cares?
Again, under magnification, the rust looks very jagged and has a lot of snagging points that protrude from the pores of the metal. Every bit of rust that develops will make the surface less smooth and more apt to have foods stick to it.

Like I said, it's a matter of degree. Depending on how much oxidized iron is present on the surface, it will end up in your food. Again, a matter of degree. It will affect taste and appearance of the food at some point.

Old 10-26-2011, 03:52 PM   #12
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
.. If this rusting is so slow that I can't see a practical or visual difference, who cares?

My point exactly.

It's really of no concern. And nothing to confuse people with.

A cast iron skillet washed with water and soap doesn't rust in any appreciable manner if you dry it completely.

It's a bit silly to suggest taking a microscope out and examining your skillet for rust not visible to the human eye. And that rust, if its there at all, isn't going to affect the taste, texture or color of what you cook in it.

If a skillet has visible rust in it, any normal person isn't going to use it.

All of this discussion does a disservice to people who are unfamiliar to cast iron cooking, IMO.

Old 10-26-2011, 04:39 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

I have a number of CI skillets. I rub them clean with salt and then put about 1/8" oil in the bottom and heat on low for about 10 minutes. My pans are ancient. My DH, on the other hand, washes these same pans with soap and water, scrubs them. If I catch him doing this, I turn them upside down over a burner on low to dry them, and then add the oil and heat them. (And yes, I have begged him not to do this, I've pleaded with him not to wash them, and yes, I may even have bitched at him--doesn't matter. He has a Ph.D. in Materials (ferroelectrics and ferromagnetics are two of his areas of expertise, so why would he listen to a Linguist about how to take care of CI cookware?). I even took to hiding the pans when I went out of town so he wouldn't ruin the years of seasoning while I was away...he found them. They do come back when I do the oil treatment...but still, I'd like them "washed" using the salt-oil method.
Old 10-27-2011, 12:03 AM   #14
Cook

I think you're saying that the introduction of any water to a cast-iron skillet causes rust, and that rust is bad for the skillet. It seems to me that most (but perhaps not all) cooking will involve some water. Does it follow that cooking in a cast-iron skillet may cause it to rust?
Old 10-27-2011, 12:38 AM   #15
Cook

Here is some information directly from the website for
Lodge Cast Iron.

Cleaning your Lodge Cast Iron
After cooking, clean utensil with a stiff nylon brush and hot water. Using soap is not recommended, and harsh detergents should never be used. (Avoid putting a hot utensil into cold water. Thermal shock can occur causing the metal to warp or crack).
TIP: If you are having trouble removing stuck-on food, boil some water in your pan for a few minutes to loosen residue, making it easier to remove.

Towel dry immediately and apply a light coating of oil to the utensil while it is still warm.
TIP: Do not let your cast iron air dry, as this can promote rust.
Store in a cool, dry place. If you have a cover, or lid, for your utensil, place a folded paper towel in between lid and utensil allowing air to circulate. This prevents moisture from collecting inside the utensil, which can cause rust.
TIP: The oven is a great place to store your cast iron; just remember to remove it before turning on the oven.

NEVER wash in dishwasher.

If for some reason your utensil develops a metallic smell or taste, or perhaps rust spots (maybe a well-meaning relative washed your utensil in the dishwasher or with soap thinking they were being helpful), never fear. Simply scour off the rust using a very fine grade of sandpaper or steel wool and refer to our section Re-seasoning Your Lodge Cookware.
IMPORTANT PRODUCT NOTE: If you have a Lodge Grid Iron or Pro Grid Iron Griddle, make sure to place it over two burners, allowing the griddle to heat evenly and avoid a stress break or warping. It is also a good to preheat the griddle in the oven before placing over burners on top of stove.

Lodge Cast Iron Cookware - America's Original Cookware - South Pittsburg, TN USA
Old 10-27-2011, 06:12 AM   #16
Executive Chef

When overwhelmed with opposing argument, it's best to give in.

I believe that washing CI in water is not good for it. Obviously more disagree than agree.

I concede that more people wash thier cast iron in water than those who don't.

Please, ignore the advice I offered.

I'm very sorry that I tried to impose my way of thinking on anyone else.
Old 10-27-2011, 08:31 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Does this mean that you might also concede on the MW vs. Mayo argument? <g>.

FWIW, DH is coming to the farm today--I've hidden the CI skillets.
Old 10-27-2011, 08:49 AM   #18
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Does this mean that you might also concede on the MW vs. Mayo argument? <g>.
I'm sorry I ever got involved with anything concerning the Mayo/MW argument.

Whatever anyone says is fine with me.

I concede on everything that anyone has ever said in any discussion I've been in.

I'm wrong on anything I've said.

Unless someone doesn't like that. Then, I'll go along with anything they would like me to.

Works for me.
Old 10-27-2011, 09:42 AM   #19
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I have been away from DC for a spell. Seems like I have missed some interesting discussions! I may as well add my two cents to this one. While what you say is true, the degree of rust is, IMHO, nearly insignificant, as long as the pan is cleaned, dried, and properly stored. I doubt that a small amount of water will do any real damage. It was, however, a very interesting read. Thanks!

Tags
cookware