"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 02-26-2008, 06:31 PM   #11
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Agreed. My SS stuff is still shiny too. Gotta love Barkeeper's Friend.
Do you use BKF on the interior or just the exterior? Where I used it on the interior it looks like I used fine-grit sandpaper

Old 02-26-2008, 06:41 PM   #12
Certified Pretend Chef

Perhaps you should use less.

I use it on the entire pan. I just dust the interior of the pan with the BKF then scrub it with a blue scrubber sponge then do the outside and handles with the same sponge.

Old 02-27-2008, 07:48 AM   #13
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
With All-Clad SS there is no aluminum cooking surface, just SS. the alum. is sandwiched between the SS layers.

Have you ever wondered about yourself?

I am.

Excuse me while I inspect my wiring ....
Old 02-27-2008, 07:58 AM   #14
Certified Pretend Chef

No worries. You're allowed one mistake as a DC member.
Old 02-27-2008, 09:34 AM   #15
Assistant Cook

You should see if you can exchange the pan for one that sits flat, Best to test it by placing it on a glass shelf at the store , if you can. We have a flat top cooker so I know what you're going through. We have one AC frying pan that is concave if you look at the bottom, but it doesn't rock or teeter on the cooktop and once it heats up it's fine as far as cooking performance. Sort of like a Farberware pan which is concave but flattens as it heats. We have the large AC braiser which also heats up pretty evenly though not as uniform as I would like,or expect-- but this pan is convex looking from the bottom, and spins on the stove top with the slightest movement. A very BAD thing but, I haven't attempted to exchange it as we bought it at a drastically reduced price during a clearance sale when a store was closing a location, and mostly it's used in the oven. The pans don't need to be perfectly flat to work on a flat top as they heat fairly evenly, but they work better and are more enjoyable to use if they sit still.
I find that if you don't use enough water as a lubricant with Bar Keepers friend it scratches pretty easily. Generally we use Bon Ami, which is a easier on the pans and the skin too.
Old 02-27-2008, 12:09 PM   #16
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
...If I were you, I would return them immediately and use the refund to shop for replacement All Clad at Cookware and More's website. They sell cosmetic seconds at seriously discounted prices. And non-seconds for cheaper than retial, too.
I agree. I've purchased several of their cosmetic seconds--the flaws are truly minor and the pans sit flat and perform well. Just rec'd their ad in the mail for their Open Stock sale Feb. 29th thru April 6th.
Old 02-27-2008, 04:16 PM   #17
Assistant Cook

I believe All-Clad makes the bottoms that way to allow for natural expansion when the metal is heated. After the pan reaches temperature it should flatten out. You might want to check that with All-Clad before you return anything. BarKeepers Friend is abrasive and really should be mixed into a paste before cleaning the pan with it. It will mar the metal if it's used too dry with too much force.

Stainless isn't as hard as people think it is and will scratch if another metal implement is scraped across it's surface, or with a too abrasive a cleanser. I really don't think your set is defective. I think you have to understand that it's really not as tough as you think, and isn't imperious to wear just because it's very expensive. It's just the nature of the metal, and All-Clad uses the highest grades of stainless. Because All-Clad is magnetic and induction capable, the outside is only 18/0, which means it has no nickel. This might make it not as hard as other alloys, although I was told they use a very expensive alloy to compensate for that.
Old 04-20-2009, 11:58 AM   #18
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondelle View Post
I believe All-Clad makes the bottoms that way to allow for natural expansion when the metal is heated. After the pan reaches temperature it should flatten out. You might want to check that with All-Clad before you return anything. BarKeepers Friend is abrasive and really should be mixed into a paste before cleaning the pan with it. It will mar the metal if it's used too dry with too much force.

Stainless isn't as hard as people think it is and will scratch if another metal implement is scraped across it's surface, or with a too abrasive a cleanser. I really don't think your set is defective. I think you have to understand that it's really not as tough as you think, and isn't imperious to wear just because it's very expensive. It's just the nature of the metal, and All-Clad uses the highest grades of stainless. Because All-Clad is magnetic and induction capable, the outside is only 18/0, which means it has no nickel. This might make it not as hard as other alloys, although I was told they use a very expensive alloy to compensate for that.
Nickel is magnetic, chromium is not. 18/10 is a relatively soft stainless. Chrome is pretty hard.