"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 09-03-2006, 09:00 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Did i just ruin my iron skillet?

there was some runny egg yolk smeared on it that wouldn't wash off (i didn't try soap of course), so i tried to burn in on by leaving it on a hot burner at full blast. i think i may have burned it, and the seasoning off.

now my pan has a big grey spot in the middle. it seems rougher than the black areas.

can i repair this? how?

Old 09-03-2006, 09:31 PM   #2
Master Chef

I don't know that this will help with your current situation, but usually, if the pan is really messy, I will give it a "light" washing with soap and water. I don't scrub it, just a wash enough to get the debris out, but not enough to de grease it. Then I dry it on medium low heat for 8 minutes... set the timer to remind me. Not sure if your pan is ruined or not.... maybe that you just need to reseason.

Old 09-03-2006, 09:32 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

how do i reseason?
Old 09-03-2006, 09:47 PM   #4
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Coat your pan in lard and bake at 350 degrees for half an hour.
Old 09-03-2006, 10:18 PM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

You took the seasoning in that area. What TATTRAT said, only I'd go for an hour, then turn off the oven and leave it in there to cool.
Old 09-03-2006, 11:52 PM   #6
Assistant Cook

how thick should the lard be when i'm done coating it?

should i coat the outside as well?
Old 09-03-2006, 11:53 PM   #7
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
basically a skim coat, noneed to cake it on. And yes, do the outside too.
Old 09-04-2006, 02:23 AM   #8
Master Chef

What you did was fuse the proteins in the egg onto the polymerized oil surface of the pan. That's why it is grey and rougher than the rest of the pan.

Use something like a green scrubby (Scotchbrite) pad and give it a a little scrub - then dry it and oil it like you normally would for storage, and forget it. Fry something in it like bacon, sausage, a steak or porkchops, or chicken - that's all you need to do. It works kind of like deglazing the pan.
Old 09-04-2006, 08:11 AM   #9
Head Chef

I purchased an very very large iron skillet at a garage sale. It was very disgusting dirty and rough. It was used in years - but you can't go wrong with cast iron. And it was $5.00 I took a lite sand paper and sanded it all over - scrubbed it really good and then heated in the oven for about 20 mins and then rubbed oil on it and let it go in again for about 10 min. So it wouldn't stink the house up I then rubbed crisco all over it and put it outside on my gas grill for about an 1. Turned out great. I can get alot of fried chicken in it.
Old 09-04-2006, 09:37 AM   #10
Executive Chef

if you find a rough spot from stuck food, hot water and a stiff brush...if you need to scour, use salt and scrubber, then rinse and give a light oil coat after fully drying it.