Did I warp the pan?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

johnalex

Assistant Cook
My sister has an AlClad Grill pan.

She is accussing me of warping it.

I used it once or twice to cook a chicken breast in. I used it on medium to high heat. The pan doesn't look warped, but she is saying it is cooking uneven.

Here is the model

http://www.metrokitchen.com/product/AC-3012/-

help out this family fued.

What are the chances I warped the pan?

John B

If the pan sits flat on a flat surface without wobbling, it's not warped.

If the non-stick surface is intact and still acting like a non-stick surface, it's OK.

There is nothing you could do to make the pan "...cook uneven".

If the pan is warped or the nonstick surface is damaged, I think you shoud buy her a new one.

nah non stick aspect of the pan is good.

I wobbles just a tinny bit. Barely noticable when cooking.

Its an AlClad, so I believe it has a lifetime warenty.

The instructions do say NOT to use above medium heat. If I was your sister I'd say you bought the pan. hahaha

Stevie said:
The instructions do say NOT to use above medium heat. If I was your sister I'd say you bought the pan. hahaha

Haven't researched it, but I dont see anything on that site that limits the heat you can use it at. I'm not sure how a grill pan can be limited to such a low heat anyway... the point of grilling is to do it hot and fast. But I've never owned a grill pan.... I use an actual grill for grilling... :LOL:

As to warping, if he put it in water while it was still hot, then the odds are that he is the one who damaged it. Otherwise, a good quality pan shouldn't warp just from the heat necessary to cook a chicken breast. :ohmy:

Non-stick pans should NOT be used on high heat at all. If it wobbles it is warped. You can try to get the warranty. Otherwise buy her a new one.

RPCookin said:
the point of grilling is to do it hot and fast.

Thank God, someone has pointed out the debacle regarding non stick pans... Look if I where you I would buy her a $20 non stick pan and tell her, here, this is just as good anyway. I call Non Stick, Non Cook. It is ridiculous to expect someone to sear a nice steak on a pan that cant go above medium heat. The chances are big that you damaged the pan by actually trying to cook something, which is obviously not what they are designed to do. :ROFLMAO: And your warantee wont cover you for overheating, but try anyway.

Good Luck

PS.
Fish is the exception here, where you need a non stick pan.

From The AC website:

All-Clad NonStick Cookware features not just a coating but a revolutionary, reinforced system for professional grade nonstick cooking. Beneath the nonstick cooking surface is All-Clad’s unique triple-ply construction for maximum heat conductivity: a layer of 18/10 stainless steel; a pure aluminum core; not just at the bottom but all the way up the sides; and an exterior metal from the Stainless, LTD or MC2 Collections. For best results, use medium to low heat and utensils of plastic, rubber or wood. Non-Stick is not recommended for dishwasher use.

I've never seen any brand of nonstick cookware that is designed to go over medium heat.

johnalex said:
nah non stick aspect of the pan is good.

I wobbles just a tinny bit. Barely noticable when cooking.

Its an AlClad, so I believe it has a lifetime warenty.

What kinds of burners does she have? If it's an electric burner, it could be that the coils on that particular burner is crooked. If it's a flat top burner and it wobbles, than it was probably warped a little bit. Try putting it on a countertop to see if it wobbles. If it still does, then it may be warped.

I'm kind of surprised that the pan warped to begin with though. You said you used "medium to high" heat so that says to me that you were either cooking mostly on medium-high, or you heated the pan on high and then turned it down to medium to cook with. Either way I put my All-Clad pans to use and abuse at home and not one of them have gotten warped, and I put them through similar stresses as I would with restaurant pans, at least temperature wise.

kfarrell said:
Thank God, someone has pointed out the debacle regarding non stick pans... Look if I where you I would buy her a $20 non stick pan and tell her, here, this is just as good anyway. I call Non Stick, Non Cook. It is ridiculous to expect someone to sear a nice steak on a pan that cant go above medium heat. The chances are big that you damaged the pan by actually trying to cook something, which is obviously not what they are designed to do. :ROFLMAO: And your warantee wont cover you for overheating, but try anyway.

Good Luck

PS.
Fish is the exception here, where you need a non stick pan.

Remember that companies put those restrictions on their products in order to protect themselves and the consumer from product failure. Those pans can handle more than what the company states, but they're not going to give you the exact limit because there is no way to ensure that every person that buys and cooks with their product will have the aptitude needed to know and be conscientious of those limits. The safest and smartest thing to do is to recommend a limit that is below what the product can handle, that way it can help them protect themselves to a point, and always say "well we told you so" when the product fails due to consumer misuse.

johnalex said:
My sister has an AlClad Grill pan.

She is accussing me of warping it.

I used it once or twice to cook a chicken breast in. I used it on medium to high heat. The pan doesn't look warped, but she is saying it is cooking uneven.

Here is the model

http://www.metrokitchen.com/product/AC-3012/-

help out this family fued.

What are the chances I warped the pan?

John B

John, just to clarify because it only dawned on me now and then when I re-read Andy M's post, but by cooking uneven, do you only mean that the pan is sitting uneven on the burner or do you also mean that the food in the pan is cooking unevenly?

I believe you answere the first part of this question when you said that the pan wobbles a bit but what about the second part?

Back
Top Bottom