"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 08-22-2014, 06:42 PM   #11
Master Chef

Personally, I have all 3 types of skillets and they all get used for different things. The cast iron is used to brown beef, fry chicken and pork chops. The stainless steel is used for tomato based sauces (marinara etc) and the non-stick for scrambled eggs. I do fry eggs in my cast iron without sticking but find the eggs stick to the sides if I try to scramble in my cast iron. Cast iron is pretty easy to care for. Don't get scared off of them because of that. Remember, these kinds of pans have used for over 200 years! Good luck with your choice. BTW, my cast iron is from my mother-in-law so it is well seasoned. My stainless steel is Revereware aluminum disc on bottom and my non-stick is from Sam's club. None are "high end" but all work well.

Old 08-24-2014, 03:21 AM   #12
Assistant Cook

A last question, do stainless steel skillets have to be tri ply or clad in order to be good?(can they be clad and tri ply , but not say it ?)

Old 08-24-2014, 09:31 AM   #13
Certified Pretend Chef

Stainless steel on its own is a poor conductor of heat. It allows food to scorch/burn easily. The use of an aluminum layer between layers of SS distributes the heat evenly and provides a much better result.

So, YES, SS has to be clad to be good. If a pan is clan it will say so. It's a great selling point.

Consider the two different ways to include aluminum into a SS pan. In one instance, a tir-ply disk is attached to the bottom of a plain SS pan. This disk bottom provides the heat distribution needed. If you use a gas stove, the flame can extend beyond the edges of the disk to the plain SS and cause food scorching in the pan.

The alternative is a fully clad pan where the layer of aluminum betwen the SS layers is part of the entire pan. The tri-ply material extends from the bottom to the top of the pan.
Old 08-24-2014, 11:17 AM   #14
Executive Chef

One more thing. If you do buy Teflon coated pans, do not use cooking spray on them. It will not all wash out and eventually the pan will turn brown with gunky cooking spray leftovers and will not only look ugly, but will no longer be non-stick. When cooking eggs in Teflon, a little bit of butter will do.
Old 08-24-2014, 12:07 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

I have had LeCreuset since the late '70s. I use a size 6 cast iron pan for eggs--well seasoned. I do not use the pan for anything else. I like my LeCreuset pans. If I were to replace them, I would get a combination of the LeCreuset CI enameled and SS. A friend loves her LeCreuset stock pot. There is another company in France that makes similar pans--little less pricey. There is also Staub. TL, do you remember the name of the company that made that pan we saw at the cooking store? The one where the gentleman melted the sugar?
Old 08-29-2014, 10:27 AM   #16
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Stainless steel on its own is a poor conductor of heat. It allows food to scorch/burn easily. The use of an aluminum layer between layers of SS distributes the heat evenly and provides a much better result.

So, YES, SS has to be clad to be good. If a pan is clan it will say so. It's a great selling point.

Consider the two different ways to include aluminum into a SS pan. In one instance, a tir-ply disk is attached to the bottom of a plain SS pan. This disk bottom provides the heat distribution needed. If you use a gas stove, the flame can extend beyond the edges of the disk to the plain SS and cause food scorching in the pan.

The alternative is a fully clad pan where the layer of aluminum betwen the SS layers is part of the entire pan. The tri-ply material extends from the bottom to the top of the pan.
So the cuisinart that i was recomended earlier is not good ( http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-722-.../dp/B0078P9D8U ) , as it is not tri ply?
Old 08-29-2014, 10:35 AM   #17
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by voultsi View Post
So the cuisinart that i was recomended earlier is not good ( Amazon.com: Cuisinart 722-30G Chef's Classic 12-Inch Skillet with Glass Cover: Kitchen & Dining ) , as it is not tri ply?

No. The pan you linked is SS with multi-ply disk attached to the bottom of the pan that provides the same type of protection as a tri-ply. The difference is that the 'disk on the bottom' type of pan only provides this protection on the flat bottom part of the pan. In skillets, the flat part of the bottom is relatively small to allow for the sloping sides so it's possible for a gas flame to extend beyond the edge of the disk and burn food in the pan.

Tr-ply is three layers of metal, SS-aluminum-SS, making up the entire pan, not just a disk on the bottom. As a result, you get even heat all over.
Old 08-29-2014, 11:03 AM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
...TL, do you remember the name of the company that made that pan we saw at the cooking store? The one where the gentleman melted the sugar?
Nope, sorry, I don't remember the brand. That was an impressive demo, eh?
Old 08-31-2014, 12:14 PM   #19
Assistant Cook

thanks for the help, although the negatives would you recomend that skillet/pan(still learning the difference) ? I will not be using it everyday , probably 2-3 times a week since cooking is still a hobby to me
Old 08-31-2014, 12:39 PM   #20
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by voultsi View Post
thanks for the help, although the negatives would you recomend that skillet/pan(still learning the difference) ? I will not be using it everyday , probably 2-3 times a week since cooking is still a hobby to me

As I said, a disk bottom pan can be a problem on a gas stovetop. If you have an electric stove, it will be fine. I don't think it would be the best choice for a gas stove.