"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 08-22-2014, 04:45 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Question Differences between different types of skillets?

Attention:It is going to be a long,long question

Hello everyone , i have a question about skillets once again.In just 3 days , the things i learned about different types of skillets is overwhelming.I cant categorize them in my head , THEY ARE SO MANY . So... i want a skillet to do all the jobs and to be healthy too.Ill present you my finding and PLEASE correct my mistakes and tell me your opinion.

Cast Iron : good for everything except tomatoes,wine , can get from stovetop to oven, heavy and needs a LOT of caring My first choice: Amazon.com: Lodge LCS3 Pre-Seasoned Cast-Iron Chef's Skillet, 10-inch: Cast Iron Skillet: Home & Kitchen Second choice : Amazon.com: Lodge L8SK3 Pre-Seasoned Cast-Iron Skillet, 10.25-inch: Cast Iron Skillet: Home & Kitchen

Stainless steel : again good for everything just needs more oil .My choice : Cuisinart 722-24C Chef's Classic Stainless 10-Inch Open Skillet at Amazon.com

Non Stick : good for low temperatures and Eggs( i cook a lot of eggs) but it has some very dangerous things for us on its nonstick surface .Here i searched for pans that claimed to be PFOA FREE . First choice : T-fal E9380884 Professional Total Nonstick Thermo-Spot Heat Indicator Oven Safe Dishwasher Safe PFOA Free Cookware Fry Pan / Saute Pan, 12-Inch, Black at Amazon.com
Second choice ( wich is PTFE? safe also ) : Amazon.com: The 12" Green Earth Frying Pan by Ozeri, with Textured Ceramic Non-Stick Coating from Germany (100% PTFE and PFOA Free): Omelet Pans: Home & Kitchen

As i know untill now, these are the basic types of skillets .But then during my research i found pans like this : Seasoned Steel Griddle 11" wich i have not a single idea what it is , or like that : 9 1/2" Nonstick Shallow Fry Pan | Le Creuset or even non stick stainless steel : 8" Nonstick Stainless Steel Fry Pan | Le Creuset
I also found some skillets that are called hard anodized : Cuisinart 622-20 Chef's Classic Nonstick Hard-Anodized 8-Inch Open Skillet at Amazon.com witch for some reason i particularly like . I also would like to know the le Creuset pans i reffered to( 9 1/2" Nonstick Shallow Fry Pan | Le Creuset ) , that say that they are non stick , they are so expensive but yet they dont say if they are PFOA free but they dont seem to be the same non stick surface like the other traditional non stick pans .
P.S. i am only 15 so i dont know a lot of things about 'em sry

Old 08-22-2014, 06:43 AM   #2
Master Chef

If I could only have one skillet on your list, I wouldn't choose any!

This is the closest I could find that would suit me.

Amazon.com: Cuisinart 722-30G Chef's Classic 12-Inch Skillet with Glass Cover: Kitchen & Dining

I like the fact that it could be used to store food, go into a very hot oven, have a lid to expand the range of uses and is not overly expensive. I wish it was a little deeper, I'm never satisfied!

I hope I haven't added to the confusion!

Good luck!

Old 08-22-2014, 11:02 AM   #3
Master Chef

I personally love lodge- it's pre-seasoned, versatile, & can be used to cook many items.
I love my calphalon, too. that, though, that, for me, is most often used to fry food in. I'm not much a friend of Teflon.
all-clad would be my 1st pick. they make very solid equipment in many various types & styles. that was equipment I was taught to use to cook with, & its very versatile.
Old 08-22-2014, 11:54 AM   #4
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by voultsi View Post
Attention:It is going to be a long,long question

Hello everyone , i have a question about skillets once again.In just 3 days , the things i learned about different types of skillets is overwhelming.I cant categorize them in my head , THEY ARE SO MANY . So... i want a skillet to do all the jobs and to be healthy too.Ill present you my finding and PLEASE correct my mistakes and tell me your opinion.

Cast Iron : good for everything except tomatoes,wine , can get from stovetop to oven, heavy and needs a LOT of caring My first choice: Amazon.com: Lodge LCS3 Pre-Seasoned Cast-Iron Chef's Skillet, 10-inch: Cast Iron Skillet: Home & Kitchen Second choice : Amazon.com: Lodge L8SK3 Pre-Seasoned Cast-Iron Skillet, 10.25-inch: Cast Iron Skillet: Home & Kitchen

Stainless steel : again good for everything just needs more oil .My choice : Cuisinart 722-24C Chef's Classic Stainless 10-Inch Open Skillet at Amazon.com

Non Stick : good for low temperatures and Eggs( i cook a lot of eggs) but it has some very dangerous things for us on its nonstick surface .Here i searched for pans that claimed to be PFOA FREE . First choice : T-fal E9380884 Professional Total Nonstick Thermo-Spot Heat Indicator Oven Safe Dishwasher Safe PFOA Free Cookware Fry Pan / Saute Pan, 12-Inch, Black at Amazon.com
Second choice ( wich is PTFE? safe also ) : Amazon.com: The 12" Green Earth Frying Pan by Ozeri, with Textured Ceramic Non-Stick Coating from Germany (100% PTFE and PFOA Free): Omelet Pans: Home & Kitchen

As i know untill now, these are the basic types of skillets .But then during my research i found pans like this : Seasoned Steel Griddle 11" wich i have not a single idea what it is , or like that : 9 1/2" Nonstick Shallow Fry Pan | Le Creuset or even non stick stainless steel : 8" Nonstick Stainless Steel Fry Pan | Le Creuset
I also found some skillets that are called hard anodized : Cuisinart 622-20 Chef's Classic Nonstick Hard-Anodized 8-Inch Open Skillet at Amazon.com witch for some reason i particularly like . I also would like to know the le Creuset pans i reffered to( 9 1/2" Nonstick Shallow Fry Pan | Le Creuset ) , that say that they are non stick , they are so expensive but yet they dont say if they are PFOA free but they dont seem to be the same non stick surface like the other traditional non stick pans .
P.S. i am only 15 so i dont know a lot of things about 'em sry
You get what you pay for and my Le Creuset have been going strong since the 1970s. As regards the non-stick coating contact the manufacturers or their agents in your country:-Greece: ROCKWELL leonidas.pourikas@gmail.com
Old 08-22-2014, 11:56 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Differences between different types of skillets?

Good for you for doing all this research! I really like my Cuisinart SS pans. When I was closer to your age, in college, I had a mishmash of hand-me-down pans, mostly beat-up aluminum. Since then I've acquired much better cookware. SS is multipurpose.
Old 08-22-2014, 01:03 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
If I could only have one skillet on your list, I wouldn't choose any!

This is the closest I could find that would suit me.

Amazon.com: Cuisinart 722-30G Chef's Classic 12-Inch Skillet with Glass Cover: Kitchen & Dining

I like the fact that it could be used to store food, go into a very hot oven, have a lid to expand the range of uses and is not overly expensive. I wish it was a little deeper, I'm never satisfied!

I hope I haven't added to the confusion!

Good luck!
I am with you on this one Aunt Bea. I want a vessel that can multi task. Fewer pans to wash. I have the one you mentioned and I love it. Received as a gift. Great for making frittatas, and so many other dishes. A small 8" non-stick anodized pan is great for sautéed eggs and ideal when cooking for one person. I received one as a gift and use it all the time for personal meals.
Old 08-22-2014, 04:32 PM   #7
Executive Chef

I have given up on buying expensive pots and pans. I have a collection of every tri-ply pot and pan that were sold by Le Gourmet Chef, which were the exact same composition and weight as the corresponding All-Clad, at 1/3 the price! Out of the three different size non-stick skillets, two are now totally useless. They are strictly for decoration on my pot rack now.

I also have 8-inch and a 10-inch Lodge cast iron fry pans, which are quite versatile. But the pans I use the most are the ones I pick up at the restaurant supply store for around 10 to 20 bucks each (the smaller the cheaper). When the non-stick gets scratched or wears out, I toss it into the recycle bin and buy a new one. They are made of something called auminized steel, which means they will work on gas, electric, and induction burners. Now I own pans I can trust, and have enough money to buy something to cook in them!
Old 08-22-2014, 06:02 PM   #8
Assistant Cook

The thing is ,i cook so many eggs , mostly scrambled , like 3 times per week because i live in a village and everything is from my home , so we have douzins of eggs . But i want to stay away from traditional non stick pans because they are unhealthy, teflon and stuff. If anodized on the other hand is non stick and healthy , i will probably get one of that too
Old 08-22-2014, 06:11 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Differences between different types of skillets?

As long as Teflon is not heated on high heat, and is not badly scratched, it should be fine. At the temperature you would normally cook eggs, the pan will not get hot enough to cause toxic fumes.
Old 08-22-2014, 06:42 PM   #10
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by voultsi View Post
The thing is ,i cook so many eggs , mostly scrambled , like 3 times per week because i live in a village and everything is from my home , so we have douzins of eggs . But i want to stay away from traditional non stick pans because they are unhealthy, teflon and stuff. If anodized on the other hand is non stick and healthy , i will probably get one of that too
Teflon pans are perfectly safe if used properly. Teflon releases gas that causes flu like symptoms at 680ºF (360ºC). This level of temperature occurs only if you have left an empty pan on a burner for an extended period.

This temperature is much higher than normal cooking temperatures. Initiating the Maillard reaction and browning of foods (caremelization) occur at temperature below 400ºF.

There is no danger at all from ingesting Teflon fragments that may get scraped off the pan's surface. It is entirely inert and passes through your system unchanged.

So if you want to cook a lot of eggs in a Teflon pan go ahead and do so confident that you are not endangering anyone.