"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware
Old 11-04-2006, 03:06 PM   #11
Executive Chef
What brand is yours and what type of material is it made from?

Corey123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 03:10 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire
Corey, I just checked and can't find a name on mine. It's got a bottom pan with a heavier (core?) bottom than the top pan, which is made to fit on top of the bottom pan, and has a glass lid with a little "blowhole" in it.

forgot to add - both pieces are SS

Kool Aid - Think before you drink.
mudbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 03:35 PM   #13
Master Chef

My double boiler was my grandmother's. It was made by Mirro and is made out of aluminum. I mostly use it for melting chocolate when making Christmas candy.
Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.

Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
SierraCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 04:11 PM   #14
Sous Chef
I always use a saucier and a stainless steel bowl.
Yup, exactly what I use.
Nick ~ "Egg whites are good for a lot of things; lemon meringue pie, angel food cake, and clogging up radiators." - MacGyver
Nicholas Mosher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 07:19 PM   #15
Certified Pretend Chef
I never saw a need to buy a specific double boiler pot. It's just too easy to do the SS bowl over a pan of boiling water. It has the added benefit of your being able to vary the capacity to fit your needs.
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 07:35 PM   #16
Head Chef
Originally Posted by Corey123
Don't see or hear much about this cooking vessel, but I DO have one. It was very popular in the '50s, '60s, '70s and the '80s. Pyrex used to make one that had glass handles.
I have an enamel over steel one that dates, at least, from the '30s. It was my grandmother's, I use it rarely, and should put it in the attic. The stainless or pyrex bowl over a boiling saucier is just as efficient, and can go in the dishwasher.
"To be broke is not a disgrace, it is only a catastrophe." -- Nero Wolfe/Rex Stout
bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 08:22 AM   #17
Sous Chef
When I was first starting out cooking (at home), I didn't own a double-boiler and whined everytime I made a white sauce about not having one. I finally got one for Christmas one year...but, I had made white sauce in a regular pot for so long, I couldn't adjust to the d.b.!!! Stopped whining and never did use that thing.

SST bowl over a saucier pan is the way for me when I do need the d.b. thing.
cjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 09:24 AM   #18
Executive Chef
I don't use mine for white sauce (bechimel) simply because it calls for you to make a roux of butter and flour first.

That has to cook a bit before you add the hot milk, and then you must let the sauce come up to the boil somewhat and then turn in down to simmer. But while adding and stirring in the milk, you must take the pan off heat.

This method is necessary so that the flour in the sauce cooks properly, or you will have a pasty-tasting sauce. The flour MUST cook.

The same method applies to gravies as well.
Corey123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 01:40 PM   #19
Master Chef
I still have my double boiler, I bought it in the late 50s. The name on the bottom is " Duncan Hines " stainless steel cookware. (3 ply). Made by Regal Ware. I use to melt chocolate in it before I got my microwave oven. I am sure I did other things with it too, but I can't remember now.
Don't let yesterday take up too much of today. Will
JoAnn L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 04:16 PM   #20
Master Chef
Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
I have two of them and I use them for melting chocolate and making custards, mostly for ice cream. One was my mom's and its the largest, aluminum, made by Wearever. The "set" also has a wire basket for deep frying. Mom used it a few times to make donuts. It's at least as old as I am...

the other is smaller, made of enamel on carbon steel, by Chantal. I got two of them from Chantal back in the mid 80's when I was doing recipe development and promos for them. I gave the white one to my niece Tiffany, and kept the red one when the project was over. I love it, use it ALL the time, and it still looks like new. I sometimes use the bottom pot with the tempered glass lid as a small casserole for dressing.

Wine is the food that completes the meal.
ChefJune is offline   Reply With Quote