Do any of you own a double boiler?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I do have a Pyrex double boiler. Definitely better and easier to use than trying to balance a bowl over a steaming pan of boiling water. I used one constantly growing up but after moving out on my own didn't get around to getting one of my own until they had stopped making them. Recently I found one at a retro cookware shop. We did have and use the wire thingy to offset the pan bottom from the burner. They still make the exact same one and I bought one to go with my new Pyrex double boiler.

Personally I can't melt chocolate without having it seize without using a double boiler - microwave doesn't work either. I've been having to melt chocolate for the coating for my buckeye candies with paraffin for years because otherwise the chocolate would seize. There is ganache in my future ... maybe even truffles ...

I used to ... but don't any more. Just don't do the type of cooking often enough that a glass bowl over a pot of water won't do it (that is to say, I do that once every year or two).

Use to have the pyrex one till one got dropped and broke - Haven't been able to find another- I just use a pot and a pryex bowl on top or 2 of my metal pot that fit together good one on top of the other.

I have a sauce pan that came with a steamer and double boiler. And yes, I use all of the above. Steamed veggies are so much better than boiled veggies. And the double boiler is used to make ganache, candies, hot cocoa, pastry cream, etc.

Can I get buy without them? Of course. There are other ways I can improvise to do everything that do in the double boiler, and steamer. But it's easier with than without. Oh, and all of mine are SS.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the north

I much prefer the Pyrex double boiler to a metal one because I can easily monitor the water level. It won't go dry on me because I can see quite clearly and add (very hot) water as needed.

Where did you get your DH cookware from in the 50's?

I still have my double boiler, I bought it in the late 50s. The name on the bottom is " Duncan Hines " stainless steel cookware. (3 ply). Made by Regal Ware. I use to melt chocolate in it before I got my microwave oven. I am sure I did other things with it too, but I can't remember now.:blush:

I just purchased some in excellent shape. They have copper on the lid knob. Are these the ones you have? I wondered how they were sold originally...

I have a stainless steel and porcelain double boiler in the Amoretti Test Kitchen. It was already there when I got there. At home I use a sauce pan and a stainless steel bowl.

1537t.jpg

Last edited:
Don't see or hear much about this cooking vessel, but I DO have one. It was very popular in the '50s, '60s, '70s and the '80s. Pyrex used to make one that had glass handles.

It used to come included in cookware sets or as an option to the sets. It's still a very handy and indispensable item in the kitchen for making delicate sauces and custards for cakes, pies and ice cream. It helps keep the mixture from burning, curdling or cooking too fast.

It consists of two small pots - one slightly smaller one fitting inside the other. Food in the upper pot is gently cooked by the heat and steam that comes from the boiling water in the lower pot.

Mine came with my Visions cookware that I bought in the mid '80s. It's now more or less a bowl with side handles that fits snuggly into the top of the largest sauce pot.

I STILL use it now and then for delicate sauces, puddings, custards for ice cream, etc.. What do you use yours for if you have one?

Of coarse, you can improvise by using a SS mixing bowl over a pot of boiling water to achieve similar results.:chef:
I had one which was my mother's. She called it a porringer and used it for making porridge. I pinched it when I set up home for the first time but when I was packing to move this last time I found the lid at the back of the cupboard and no sign of the rest of it. I wouldn't have thrown it away so no idea what happened to it.

On one of my hunting trips in the Cancer Research charity shop I found a small bain marie which has an aluminium base pan with no lid and a lipped ceramic bowl which fits on the top. I find it useful for melting chocolate but it isn't big enough for lemon curd or anything like that.

I haven't seen a db in a kitchen shop for as long as I remember until I spotted one in the Lakeland kitchenware catalogue.

EDIT: Much as I hate to promote Walmart they have a variety of DBs on their US website, some of which are quite reasonably priced. That might be the way to go if anyone needs one.

Last edited:
I use these Revere Ware saucepans with inserts that convert them into double boilers. The inserts have also been pressed into service as serving bowls for picnics or while camping. The lids fit snugly on the bowls so they are also great for storing leftovers.

I use the double boiler to keep masked potatoes and sauces warm, sort of like a steam table. You can also fill the lower pan with ice and water to keep things cold or to rapidly cool frosting, fudge etc...

I have never purchased a set of pans, I just pick them up when I see them at estate sales, flea markets etc. I am on the lookout now for the steamer insert and the egg poaching insert.

"He that can have patience can have what he will." - Benjamin Franklin

723867578_tp.jpg

Have a stainless steel one size fits all double boiler that I use only occasionally, gave away my copper chocolatiers' pot. Don't make much candy these days.

Back
Top Bottom