Do I need a new Wok?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Michael in FtW said:
I posted links to a source for both of these (electric and gas) a year or two ago - but I can't find it now. I know we pruned some old threads so this might have been one that went into the ether.

I live close to Montréal, that has a thriving Asian community, more commonly know as Chinatown in Montréal. I know I could pick one up there, I’ve seen them there, but wasn’t ready to lay out the cash at the time. I have a new electric stove (8 months) now and may give it second considerations. I do a lot of woking. :rolleyes:

Thanks Michael

While we are in the subject of new wok. Would someone please tell me what a new carbon steel wok looks like? The name gives me a 50/50 answer since carbon is black and steel is silvery. I searched for the pics, and the majority is silvery, but some were black. Just wanted to be sure.

Mine was sort of a dull silver when first purchased. Now, of course, after over 30 years of use (I've had it since around 1975), it's even duller, with most parts black from well-seasoned ise.

Carbon steel is silvery. The name refers to the carbon mixed into the molten steel before stamping out the wok.

The wok then has to be seasoned before cooking with it. The seasoning process causes it to turn black.

You know "Michael in FtW", I have been looking around that site you posted for your answer on the "wok". That is a great site. It has a lot of information to digest.

I know I have said this, but thanks again (a thanks in retrospect has exponential consequences. :rolleyes:

mudbug said:
Bri, always listen what Michael says. He will go the distance to research any questions people ask here.

I see that that is true by all the thoughtful posts by Michael. I also want to mention that the quality of posts, over all on this board, are way beyond average. Pat on the back to everyone. :clap: :hammer: :punk: :whistling :flowers: :w00t2: :clap:

Last edited:
Andy M. said:
Carbon steel is silvery. The name refers to the carbon mixed into the molten steel before stamping out the wok.

The wok then has to be seasoned before cooking with it. The seasoning process causes it to turn black.

Much like you'd have to do with cast iron.:chef:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom