Do I need to lightly oil a silicone baking mat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larry_stewart

Master Chef
I just recently got silicone baking mats to place into a baking sheet to prevent the food from sticking.

Im trying a recipe that calls for lightly spraying a non stick pan with cooking oil prior to baking.

My question is, if Im using a silicone mat, do I need to spray it?

larry

No. I never have and I've been using them for 20+ years. You might also want to reconsider spraying any nonstick surface with a aerosol cooking spray. They can leave a residue, causing the surface to be less effective. If you feel the necessity to lubricate a nonstick surface, brushing it lightly with vegetable shortening or oil would be the better choice.

BTW, the same goes for parchment paper. However, you do have to choose your parchment paper wisely. I have bought two different kinds that had zero non-stick properties.

No. I never have and I've been using them for 20+ years. You might also want to reconsider spraying any nonstick surface with a aerosol cooking spray. They can leave a residue, causing the surface to be less effective. If you feel the necessity to lubricate a nonstick surface, brushing it lightly with vegetable shortening or oil would be the better choice.

I don't even have a can of cooking spray in the house anymore. I hate that gunky residue left on cookware, not to mention spraying oil flying around the kitchen. It's no trouble to use some oil on a paper towel and do it the way our mothers did.

I just recently got silicone baking mats to place into a baking sheet to prevent the food from sticking.

Im trying a recipe that calls for lightly spraying a non stick pan with cooking oil prior to baking.

My question is, if Im using a silicone mat, do I need to spray it?

larry

Nope. I made hamburger buns yesterday and the recipe calls for you to grease the cooking sheet. I just use a silicone mat instead. Best thing since sliced bread. :chef:

I don't care for the silicone baking mats for baking cookies that spread, like chocolate chip. The mat takes a lot longer to heat than just the pan alone, causing more spread. I baked my butter pecan cookies on one and they came out very thin, I baked the next pan on parchment and they came out perfect.

They are great for other things.

I've never oiled mine

I don't care for the silicone baking mats for baking cookies that spread, like chocolate chip. The mat takes a lot longer to heat than just the pan alone, causing more spread. I baked my butter pecan cookies on one and they came out very thin, I baked the next pan on parchment and they came out perfect.

I've never oiled mine

Thanks for that tip. I thought it was me.

I've never oiled mine

No one has named these types of mats yet so I'm determining that what most are speaking of are the Silpat-type mats. I've never had one of those and don't think I'd care for them. They seem way too thick/heavy for my purposes.

The mats I have and have had for 20+ years are black and about the thickness of two sheets of typing paper. The original package of the mats I bought came with a couple cookie sheet-sized sheets, a 9x13 pan size, an 8-inch square, and three 8-inch rounds for cake pans. Later, I bought a roll of the stuff and have cut many more to fit most of my frequently used pans.

In fact, the 3 Teflon-coated jellyroll pans I began housekeeping with in 1968 are still in service thanks to cut-to-fit silicone liners.

As for performance, I haven't seen any differences in any of the cookies spreading or not spreading when using my mats.

Back
Top Bottom