Do you wash your cookie sheets?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MostlyWater

Sous Chef
I use foil when I bake cookies, so I can't say that I wash ours .. at some point, though, when they start to set off the smoke alarm, I know it's time to replace them ! I can fit 2 cookie sheets at a time in the sides of our dishwasher, so I'm doing that over the next week or so.

For the record, my mom has the same cookie sheets from when we were kids and they are of course in perfect shape. Over the 25 years we are married, I have replaced our cookie sheets at least three times !!!

DD bakes chicken nuggets, fries, and potatoes very often and I can tell that the fat leaks over the foil - so I said that I'd buy her disposable cookie sheets and shallow baking pans.

Anyone ?

I line my aluminum cookie/baking sheets ( half and quarter sheet pans) with foil or parchment for most uses. I always wash them afterwards. As a result, my pans don't set off any alarms and last forever.

I always wash mine. Don't use foil or parchment either. I still have the ones I got for wedding gifts nearly 30 yrs ago and they work great. They don't look new anymore but still get the job done just the same as new.

Don't always wash mine. When I am roasting veg, or something like that, I cover the sheets with foil, (I buy the big foil) so I don't have to wash them. I use parchment when I bake cookies, so that I don't have to wash them. They are a bit discolored from years of use, but there is no real buildup on them.

I've had them for about 12 years and I expect them to last pretty much forever. They are from restaurant supply and I paid about $5 a piece, cheaper than just about anywhere else and better quality.

I wash my cookie sheets and I do not line them when I use them. I only use them for cookies and they look like they are brand new.
I need to bake more cookies I guess.

I have a couple of others that I use to cook meat, oven fries and also use as drip pans.
They look like they should not be used for anything at all but, they are clean, sort of.

I cover mine with aluminum foil. I usually only clean them when they are noticeably dirty. But, I also clean em every now and then even if they don't look dirty just in case.

I use quarter and half sheet pans from a restaurant supply store.

If I use my cookie sheets for cooking things other than cookies, etc., yes, they get a good washing. Otherwise, no. However I have to clarify that by saying that I have cookie sheet-sized sheets of Teflon that I put on the sheets when I bake with them. The Teflon sheets go into the dishwasher when I'm done using it. Have had those for at least 14 years.

I've had these same cookie sheets since since 1968 and they're still going strong. They're the only ones I've ever had and it looks like they're the only ones I'll ever need.

If I use my cookie sheets for cooking things other than cookies, etc., yes, they get a good washing. Otherwise, no. However I have to clarify that by saying that I have cookie sheet-sized sheets of Teflon that I put on the sheets when I bake with them. The Teflon sheets go into the dishwasher when I'm done using it. Have had those for at least 14 years.

I've had these same cookie sheets since since 1968 and they're still going strong. They're the only ones I've ever had and it looks like they're the only ones I'll ever need.

Your cookie sheets are 6 years older than me:ohmy:

I have cookie sheet-sized sheets of Teflon that I put on the sheets when I bake with them. The Teflon sheets go into the dishwasher when I'm done using it. Have had those for at least 14 years.
Where did you get those?

And I wash my cookie sheets.

I line my sheets with parchment paper when making cookies, pastries, etc. and then just give the sheets a wipe if something has gone through the paper.

I have an old set of cookie sheets that I use for traying bacon or sausages, cooking chicken wings, etc. I NEVER use the good ones for anything other than baking!

Thanks LP, I actually have a sil pat but don't much care for it, mostly because it is awkward to wash. I thought the teflon thing might be different.

Where did you get those?

I bought them at a cooking supply outlet, which has since gone out of business. However, I think, with some sleuthing, they can be had somewhere on the Internet.

The package I bought had 2 that fit standard cookie sheets, 1 for a 9- x 13-inch pan/sheet, a square one and a couple of 8- or 9-inch round ones for cake pans. I'd have to measure to be exact about the diameter of the round ones. I bought an extra package so I could cut more to fit some of my other odd-sized pans.

I love them and what I like is that I can gently slide the whole sheet from the cookie sheet onto a cooling rack with all the cookies on it. Within minutes my sheet can be cooled for more cookie dough and the Teflon replaced. Sure makes baking cookies a lot easier.

I don't care for Silpat. I think it's too bulky...and expensive. But, that's me.

Last edited:
Funny thing about the Sil-pat. I said they worked well, but I only used them at school and have never had the desire to buy them....I think mostly because of the price. In catering and at camp we used parchment sheets and that's what I have used ever since.

Katie, the teflon does sound interesting. I may just do some internet sleuthing myself!

Teflon pan liners

Alix, Laurie, anyone else...

I did some Internet searching and came up with these, which look almost identical to what I have and the price is in line with what mine were.

I'm thinking about getting a package to cut some to fit some of my smaller and more unusually-shaped bakeware.

My silicone mats aren't silpat brand but the same idea. I got a 1/2 sheet pan, silicone mat, a wire rack that fit inside the pan and plastic lid to cover pan - the whole 4 piece combo cost $19.99. Not a bad deal. I love them. I got 2. I use the mat under my plastic pastry sheet (when rolling out dough or kneading bread), bowls (while mixing or plastic chopping boards to keep them from slipping.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom