Does anyone have a hinged omelette pan?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i have been making potato kugel for many years that way, we think fried is better tasting.

Those pans aren’t bad. Just make sure you don’t get one of the super cheap small ones that has a gap between the two parts. My brother gave me a hinged pan that was supposed to be for pancakes. One side had curved walls like a regular skillet, but the other side was just a flat piece of metal. The idea was that you cooked the batter on one side in the domed piece, then you flipped it to the flat piece and it stuck and cooked.

It didn’t work well at all. For grins, I even tried making an egg once, and it just slid right off the flat side onto the stove. Worthless.

But the Nordic Pan that someone else posted should work well since it is completely enclosed. It ought to be a fun gadget.

Sure, there are other ways to make an omelet or an over easy egg. Personally, I just flip the egg out of the pan, up and over, and back into the pan with a flick of my wrist. It’s fun to do, but not the only way to do it.

Some may say all you need is a good pan and some practice. Ok, but look at cutting grass. All you really need is a Reel Mower and a little elbow grease. Yet most people have a gas push mower or even a riding lawn mower. It seems that one man’s toy is another man’s necessity. I say, if you like it and it makes your life easier, then go for it.

Last edited:
It came yesterday. It looks VERY nice. I hope to try it over the weekend !!!!!

I understand your "need" and rationale. But those hinged pans are cheap metal usually and not going to give you good results. How about sauteing the bottom and then broiling the top for a crispy finish? Thus a saute pan is all you need. ?? would that work?

That's what I was thinking.....Anytime i make an omelet that its too big to flip i finish it off in the oven. If you have a very large toaster oven like me you can just stick the pan inside with the handle sticking out and set it to "Broil" to finish the top.

Cheers!

Petey

The pan is worki8ing out great for us, but if /when we have guests and i need much more kugel, I will do as you all say, and finish via broil in the oven.

it is over a year later and i am still using the pan (occasionally) and enjoy it.

I know you said you have your pan and enjoy it.. but I recently got an email from Williams Sonoma regarding their Calphalon Unison Slide Nonstick Frittata pans.. looked interesting to me.. and might suit this need as well.

It's two pans that interlink at the handles and can multitask to be used individually as well.

I'm not allowed to post links but it's easy enough to find on the Williams Sonoma website.
williams-sonoma.com search for frittata .

MW, grnidkjun is a new member. Members without a certain number of posts are not allowed to post links. This is a way of making sure people are not here to spam the boards as most spammers post spam links in their first few posts. If a member posts enough to get past our magic number then we are relatively sure they are here to participate and not spam and thus are then allowed to post links. Normally we would not even let a member write out a link (like grnidkjun did with william-sonoma.com), but as mods and admins we make judgment calls a lot and it was obvious to me that grnidkun was not writing that link out for any spam type reasons and that it was actually germane to the discussion so that is why we did not edit it out.

Oh ... I did not know that.

anyway, I checked out the pan on the site. It's not exactly what I have, but it's very nice !!!

Back
Top Bottom