Does anyone have a hinged omelette pan?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MostlyWater

Sous Chef
I want one for potato kugel as it's SUCH a liability to do the flipping step, but the biggie ones are over $100 and I'm cheeeeeap.

Did anyone spring for the big one and how do they like it?

I want one for potato kugel as it's SUCH a liability to do the flipping step, but the biggie ones are over $100 and I'm cheeeeeap.

Did anyone spring for the big one and how do they like it?

????? I don't want any size of one. I like "helping" the fold with a firm spatula. have you tried that?

Hi MostlyWater and welcome to DC.

I have a hinged omelet pan that I received as a gift many years ago. I only used it a couple of times.

For me it's easier to use a spatula too.

I have never heard of potato kugel.
Google is calling to me..... I've got to Google kugel

Yeah, it looks good.
The first recipe I came to said you bake it.

I understand your "need" and rationale. But those hinged pans are cheap metal usually and not going to give you good results. How about sauteing the bottom and then broiling the top for a crispy finish? Thus a saute pan is all you need. ?? would that work?

Sadly, I can't find the deep, expensive hinged pan I saw opnline a few days ago. Unless I dreamed it......

Anyway, yeah, I think I'm gonna get the top of the line hinged pan, it's also a Norpro, and under $25.

I didn't think to sautee then broil, but it';s worth a try. thaks !

I had one of those hinged omelet pans once ... it was easier to just learn to do it right with a skillet and spatula than to mess with that thing.

Something you might try ... technique I think I learned from Julia Child for something like this:

After the bottom is browned and the top is set, use a spatula to make sure your kugel is not stuck and slides easily in the pan - then, invert a plate (or a pizza peel, etc.) over the skillet and quickly, but carefully, flip them over. Regrease your skillet and then carefully slide your kugel back into the skillet to brown the other side.

This what I do with frittatas.

Hope this helps ....

I had one of those hinged omelet pans once ... it was easier to just learn to do it right with a skillet and spatula than to mess with that thing.

Something you might try ... technique I think I learned from Julia Child for something like this:

After the bottom is browned and the top is set, use a spatula to make sure your kugel is not stuck and slides easily in the pan - then, invert a plate (or a pizza peel, etc.) over the skillet and quickly, but carefully, flip them over. Regrease your skillet and then carefully slide your kugel back into the skillet to brown the other side.

This what I do with frittatas.

Hope this helps ....

Right on. That's exactly how I do quesadillas!

ordered a top of the line Nordic pan from Amazon which got good reviews, wish me luck !

mine is not due in until the end of august, but i will let you all know !!!!!!!!

Hi
I make potato kugel in a glass 9x13 pan.I Pam the pan and put the batter in .Cook for an 1 hr to 1 hr 15 min----------done no flipping no bother

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom