"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 07-10-2007, 07:35 PM   #11
Head Chef

I have a couple of one burner grills. I guess the space between the heat could also be used to keep food heated. It takes about 20 minutes on low/med to heat a grill on the stove to uniform heat. Otherwise your food is burnt quick or lamenated to the grill.

I haven't seen a grill that can be emptied of bacon grease easily without some sort of mess and splattering the kitchen while cooking. I have never seen anything close to working except that GF Grill.

Old 07-10-2007, 07:40 PM   #12
Master Chef

Our sweet potatoes are OK, but nowhere as good as yours are, Bob. When I lived in Louisiana, I ate the best I've ever had!

The thing about the Lodge grills is that they have a little rim around the edge, so the bottom doesn't sit flat on my stove. When using a glass-top, the bottom of the pan must sit directly on the burner.

That being said, I love my stove.

Old 07-10-2007, 08:07 PM   #13
Executive Chef

I do have a lodge cast iron reversible grill griddle. I does a fine job, and it also makes a mess of your stove, whatever kind you got. I prefer grilling outside on charcoal or under the broiler (now that I have a Wolf infrared broiler) I make less mess with a non stick grill pan over which I can put a splatter screen. And it does just as well.
Old 07-10-2007, 10:31 PM   #14
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob
I have one made of Cast Iron by Lodge Manufacturing. I don't think I have ever used the ribbed side. I have use it for pancakes, warming buns/bread, grilled cheese, frying an egg, ham, just about anything you can use a flat top for. You can toast an english muffini, cook and egg, and ham/sausage for a Egg macmuffin! on the same surface at the same time. It's just another handy option. I also have their 12 in round griddle.

Enjoy!
UB, you're missing out! I have the same Lodge product, but I use both sides all the time. The smooth side does all you say, but, in the winter, I use the other side constantly and get a great grill crust on my rib steaks, pork chops, seafood steaks, veg slices, etc.
Old 07-10-2007, 11:06 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullseye
UB, you're missing out! I have the same Lodge product, but I use both sides all the time. The smooth side does all you say, but, in the winter, I use the other side constantly and get a great grill crust on my rib steaks, pork chops, seafood steaks, veg slices, etc.
Thanks bullseye for the tip. Winters in the deep South are not as severe as in your location, and with a back yard full of cookers it's just to easy to step out on the patio and fire something up. Just for the fun of it however, I think I will flip the griddle over a cook a pork chop or something. Thanks again!

Enjoy!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 07:35 AM   #16
Head Chef

I have a Le Creuset one-burner grill (ribbed) cast iron pan that came free with my dutch oven. I've used it only once, finding it a pain to clean.
Old 07-11-2007, 08:24 AM   #17
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
Wink

I have a griddle like this, I don't use very often. My son and I use it to crisp the crust of a take-out pizza. We are the only two liking crisp crust - works great !
Old 07-11-2007, 10:52 AM   #18
Senior Cook

Yes, I have cast iron by Michael Chiarello
Old 07-11-2007, 11:16 AM   #19
Assistant Cook

Does anyone have any other type of grill pan (not cast iron) and how do you like it. I've always been afraid that using a grill pan would just end up making a giant mess of my stove.
Old 07-11-2007, 12:03 PM   #20
Executive Chef

Grease can splatter everywhere, making a mess all over the place!

Try loosely covering the food with some aluminum foil. It should keep the grease-splattering at bay.