Does anyone have one of these?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Corey123

Washing Up
Does anyone have this cookware item?

It sits on two gas or electric burners at once. One side is a smooth griddle side for making things like pancakes, bacon, etc.

The other side is like a grill which is used to cook burgers, chicken pieces and steaks, which also leave grill marks on the meat.

I guess what I'm trying to describe here is a reversable griddle or grill. I have one, and have found it to be very useful when cooking meats and making breakfast items!

The one that I got is an elcheapo, from either AJ Wright or Walgreens.

I does have a no-stick surface, but I oil it anyway because the thing tends to cause foods to stick to it.

I've seen the kind you're talking about Corey, and I thought at the time how handy that would be. But I really do not have room for even one more thing.

Kim's co-workers got him a really nice GE electric griddle when he retired in January. It sure is great when you're making breakfast for several people. It will hold a pound of bacon easily, plus several smoky links!
I wish I'd had it when I was cooking for all those teenage boys who used to come to "G'ma's" house for breakfast after morning football practice in the summer. Their mom's all worked, but Erik's grandma didn't, and how this grandma loved cooking for those kids!

I have one made of Cast Iron by Lodge Manufacturing. I don't think I have ever used the ribbed side. I have use it for pancakes, warming buns/bread, grilled cheese, frying an egg, ham, just about anything you can use a flat top for. You can toast an english muffini, cook and egg, and ham/sausage for a Egg macmuffin! on the same surface at the same time. It's just another handy option. I also have their 12 in round griddle.

Enjoy!

When not in use, I keep it stored in the original box between the fridge and the kitchen's back wall near the window.

It's flat, so it stores really easy!

I have one of those Lodge grills, Bob, But it doesn't work on my glass-top stove. I also have NEVER been able to get cast iron seasoned properly, no matter what directions I follow.

Miss Connie,

They make a 10 1/2 in round one that might be the 'cats meow' :ermm:for your stove top. Follow their directions for seasoning and then just use it. The real good seasoning actually comes from repetitive use over months, and years. I also use my 12 in one to bake sweet potatoes on. It want be to many more weeks before they start digging sweet potatoes here so ya need to get ready! ;)

Have fun and Enjoy!

I have a couple of one burner grills. I guess the space between the heat could also be used to keep food heated. It takes about 20 minutes on low/med to heat a grill on the stove to uniform heat. Otherwise your food is burnt quick or lamenated to the grill.

I haven't seen a grill that can be emptied of bacon grease easily without some sort of mess and splattering the kitchen while cooking. I have never seen anything close to working except that GF Grill.

Our sweet potatoes are OK, but nowhere as good as yours are, Bob. When I lived in Louisiana, I ate the best I've ever had!

The thing about the Lodge grills is that they have a little rim around the edge, so the bottom doesn't sit flat on my stove. When using a glass-top, the bottom of the pan must sit directly on the burner.

That being said, I love my stove.

I do have a lodge cast iron reversible grill griddle. I does a fine job, and it also makes a mess of your stove, whatever kind you got. I prefer grilling outside on charcoal or under the broiler (now that I have a Wolf infrared broiler) I make less mess with a non stick grill pan over which I can put a splatter screen. And it does just as well.

Uncle Bob said:
I have one made of Cast Iron by Lodge Manufacturing. I don't think I have ever used the ribbed side. I have use it for pancakes, warming buns/bread, grilled cheese, frying an egg, ham, just about anything you can use a flat top for. You can toast an english muffini, cook and egg, and ham/sausage for a Egg macmuffin! on the same surface at the same time. It's just another handy option. I also have their 12 in round griddle.

Enjoy!
UB, you're missing out! I have the same Lodge product, but I use both sides all the time. The smooth side does all you say, but, in the winter, I use the other side constantly and get a great grill crust on my rib steaks, pork chops, seafood steaks, veg slices, etc.

bullseye said:
UB, you're missing out! I have the same Lodge product, but I use both sides all the time. The smooth side does all you say, but, in the winter, I use the other side constantly and get a great grill crust on my rib steaks, pork chops, seafood steaks, veg slices, etc.

Thanks bullseye for the tip. Winters in the deep South are not as severe as in your location, and with a back yard full of cookers it's just to easy to step out on the patio and fire something up. Just for the fun of it however, I think I will flip the griddle over a cook a pork chop or something. Thanks again!

Enjoy!

I have a Le Creuset one-burner grill (ribbed) cast iron pan that came free with my dutch oven. I've used it only once, finding it a pain to clean.

I have a griddle like this, I don't use very often. My son and I use it to crisp the crust of a take-out pizza. We are the only two liking crisp crust - works great !

Does anyone have any other type of grill pan (not cast iron) and how do you like it. I've always been afraid that using a grill pan would just end up making a giant mess of my stove.

Grease can splatter everywhere, making a mess all over the place!

Try loosely covering the food with some aluminum foil. It should keep the grease-splattering at bay.

Back
Top Bottom