"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 01-23-2008, 07:46 PM   #11
Assistant Cook

Well congrats wysiwyg and oneoffour on your new pans. Yes, true one can not argue with the fact that for the price it is a good deal. The handles are not plastic but I guess stainless steel and the pan can also go in the oven and the lining being stainless steel is easier to maintain. Enjoy your pans.

Old 01-30-2008, 12:36 AM   #12
Head Chef

geetika
Regarding bringing a shine to the tin lining of your Baumiel cookware. One word, don't. Tin is very soft and is easily removed. It is there to protect against possible contamination with acid foods reacting with copper. Tin naturally darkens with use, and the discolor in no way affects the cooking. Attempting to shine will only result in a non usable pot. The only correct way to clean tin pots is to use soap and a cloth, and a long soak with soap if something sticks in the pot. With care, tin lined copper will last for years. One good scrubbing with an abrasive, and you will be paying for a retinning. Was at Tuesdays this AM, and saw the Baumiel they have. Looks good, and the 1.5 is about the minimum for quality copper cookware, but my 3mm is too heavy for many cooks. I have two large DeHellerin pots which I purchased once used from a lady who simply could not lift them. (at half price) I love them and use them often. Cookware must feel comfortable to you to be a pleasure to use. Would have probably bought the stock pot if it was on sale. It wasn't.

Old 01-30-2008, 12:54 AM   #13
Assistant Cook

Thanks, BigJim68 I will be just using soap and water to clean my lining. However, I do use copperbrill to give a shine to the outer copper surface. Well, you are right about using the cookware one is comfortable with and I really like cooking in my copper pans. Good for you for getting a good deal on your 3mm copper pans. I just recently bought a set of 4 3mm sauce pans from denver, you can check them out at rocky mountain retinning.com.
Old 01-30-2008, 02:20 AM   #14
Head Chef

I purchased a set of saucepans from Rocky Mountain Retinning, a few months ago, then liked them so well I purchased a set for a friend for Christmas. The ones you bought are the ones I bought. They are among the best deals around for copper cookware and are probably limited in quantity. You will love them. Most copper cleaners are comparable. I use Wrights as it is available and inexpensive in Richmond.
Old 01-31-2008, 05:53 PM   #15
Assistant Cook

Hello, Bigjim68 it is nice to know that the copper pans I purchased are of high quality. Do you have any additional info on them li or origin? You mentioned that you bought two sets one as a chirstmas present. Well, your friend must be very happy with a beautiful gift. Did you get to buy the copper pan at tuesday morning? too many questions for you
Old 02-01-2008, 09:50 AM   #16
Head Chef

The story I got is that the guy at Rocky Mountain got makings from someone who had purchased them in Europe with the idea of finishing them here for resale. I think that the handles are attached and they are tinned and polished here. I have no idea how many sets he has. I especially like the lids with the long handles. The pots are very heavy, and the assembly seems to have been well done. They look like French or Italian to me. As far as I know, this is the only pans that RMR sells, and he told me that they were a 1 time thing. The gift set I purchased was for a Cambodian employee of mine who is one of the best cooks that I have ever known, and she has been trying to teach me what she knows about cooking, especially oriental. A very fair tradeoff.
The Baumaiel cookware at Tuesday Morning was not on sale when I was last there. It looks pretty good, and its lighter weight and smaller handles would probably work better than the really heavy stuff for a smaller person. I did notice that edge is rolled, which makes me wonder about measuring the thickness. I have aroud 15-20 copper pots and pans, and use them or cast iron exclusively, so I don't buy just anything.
Old 02-01-2008, 11:09 AM   #17
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to wysiwyg
Wow Bigjim68,
I checked some pictures of the pans you are referring to, those pots are impressive.
Cooper is about 20% heavier than cast iron, at 3 mm wall thk those pots must be very heavy indeed.
I'd imagine your comments are correct, there is no way you can manufacture these pots here in USA (specially with the current cost of cooper) and make a profit selling them for $200/set. I'd even venture to say they are not made in France or Italy, perhaps Eastern Europe or even Turkey. The extra work for the handles and the hand hammering is just too much manufacturing for this price. Baumalu sells hammered cooper, but is machine stamped, those pots on the pictures have been hammered by hand.

I have to put my two cents Engineering comment:
The one thing I critize about these pans is the location of the rivets attaching the handle to the pot (Baumalu does it exactly the same way, Mauviel not).
It is not a good engineering practice to set three attachments on line for this application, it is much more efficient to have an off-set design with two attachments on top and one below. This helps reduce bending stress and durability of the rivets.
Old 06-01-2014, 12:25 AM   #18
Sous Chef

Just got a Beka Marco Pierre White 11 3/4" saute, copper clad ss, for nothing. It was dirty, burnt grease and carbon, but cleaned up beautifully. Nice pan.