"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 01-14-2008, 10:40 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to wysiwyg
Does anyone know about Marco Pierre White Copper cookware by Beka?

I saw today an oval roaster with lid at a TJMAxx store.
The brand is Marco Pierre White by Beka, it is cooper with SS interior.
Looks like is cookware from Germany or UK. The price was U$S50 and the pot was about 17"x11", the cooper looked about 1.5 mm thick and handles were made out of black thermoplastics.
Any feedback on this is appreciated, thanks.

Old 01-18-2008, 02:13 PM   #2
Assistant Cook

Hi wysiwyg geetika again I own two of the Beka series copper pans. Yes, bought them from TJmax Denver. Well, the chef Marco Pierre is a world-renowned chef from Uk. Hence, the pans are from England you can goggle and find a lot of info on amazon.com UK. Yep, these pans are 1.5mm copper with stainless steel lining and sell for a lot of money on the U.K. websites. They do discolor a bit on high flame but I polish them back to new with copperbrill bought it from william and sonama. The interior can also be easily cleaned and I use a commercial powder for it. Well, let me know how it goes?

Old 01-18-2008, 03:33 PM   #3
Senior Cook

Hi geetika,
Thank you for the information, I wasn't aware about this chef and the brand (Beka).
It sounded German to me, but I will do a search on this stuff.
My main concern was the wall thickness of this pan, the finish (matte) is good because it doesn't need a lot of extra care. Very similar to some Faulk Culinaire pans I have, but these are much thicker.
Relative to cleaning, I'd rather use a natural acid like either lemon juice or vinegar with a mild abrasive (salt or baking powder). It is cheaper that chemical cleaners and if I leave traces on the pan, I won't get sick when I ingest them.
For the price, I will buy it if available and will let you know how it goes for sure.
Thanks again.
Old 01-18-2008, 03:49 PM   #4
Executive Chef

I've seen a few of them at Marshalls ... looks like a quality product as far as the metal is concerned. Not thrilled with the handles.
Old 01-18-2008, 04:02 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

Hi,
wysiwyg I am sending you some info from net. Also could you tell me how to bring a shine to my tin lining in baumalu cookware?

geetika.

Marco Pierre White - Copper Oval Roaster + Lid 42cm x 29.5cm
Buy new: £250.00 £119.97
Get it by Tuesday, Jan 22 if you order in the next 65 hours and choose express delivery.
Eligible for FREE Super Saver Delivery.

Marco Pierre White Copper 24cm Casserole + Lid
Beka

RRP: £150.00
Price: £149.85 & this item Delivered FREE in the UK with Super Saver Delivery. See details and conditions
You Save: £0.15
Availability: In stock. Dispatched from and sold by Amazon.co.uk.
Reviews
Manufacturer's Description
The number one choice of top professional chef's world-wide, copper cookware is virtually unmatched for its durability and heat distribution. To help bring outstanding cookware to the domestic kitchen, Beka has launched the Copper Collection (1001), part of The White Heat Collection bv Marco Pierre White. Combining the benefits of stainless steel and copper, this new range has been designed to create the ultimate cooking experience for discerning chefs.
Designed in conjunction with leading restaurateur and 3 star Michelin chef Marco Pierre White, the range features a unique brushed copper exterior with stylish cast stainless steel black handles, combined with a stainless steel interior. The brushed copper exterior combines maximum style whilst minimising the maintenance issue so often required with highly-polished copper.

Marco Pierre White comments: Cookware is all about performance and having the right pan for the right job is essential. When designing the Copper Collection (1001), the selection of materials, the weight, the balance, the choice of handle and the design features were all carefully considered to create a range which, in my opinion, provides the ultimate tools for those who want to cook like a true professional.

Reviews
This pan is from the new Bi-Ply Copper range by Marco Pierre White. Made to incredibly high standards, each pan features a cast stainless steel handle with a black non-slip coating. They also feature handy capacity measurements on the inside of the pan and are suitable for all heat sources (except induction).

•24cm Casserole from the 1001 Bi-Copper series by Marco Pierre White
•Made from 1.5mm extra thick copper for optimum heat distribution with a stainless steel layer for exceptional cooking performance
•Other features include a pouring rim, cast stainless steel handles, capacity measurements and a satin finish
•Suitable for use on all heat sources except for induction
•Part of a new extensive collection of performance cookware by Marco Pierre White
•Hand wash and dry only
Old 01-18-2008, 04:25 PM   #6
Senior Cook

geetika,
Thanks again, I was reading the same page you posted LOL
I will check TJMaxx today and buy the pan if available, can't go wrong for 50 bucks but I will take a close look at the handles as Robo410 pointed.
I replied to your other posting on cleaning tin, let me know if you have questions.
Old 01-18-2008, 05:27 PM   #7
Assistant Cook

beka

Thanks wysiwyg your tips have been really helpful. I used my new baumalu pan yesterday and boy!!! was I impressed needs low heat for cook and does not oxidize or discolor that easily. Bought my stock pot from "tuesday morning" on sale for 47 dollars the store usually sells it for 150 $$.

The handles on the beka copper collection are heavy and I personally do not have much to complain about for the price I paid $50 and $40 for them. Let me know if you buy them today. Happy shopping.
Old 01-23-2008, 11:36 AM   #8
Senior Cook

Just found and bought a 2 1\2 quart Beka stock pot or soup pot at Marshalls for $49.00. The black handles are not plastic but black anodized stainless steel. Went to the Beka web site and it is made in Germany but sold in England. Check out Legion cookware made in USA. for brushed or bright copper finished pots (stainless steel lined). I have one of the bigger oval casserole pans with a domed lid.
Old 01-23-2008, 11:45 AM   #9
Senior Cook

Make that an oval Au Gratin pan not a casserole but You get the idea.
Old 01-23-2008, 02:26 PM   #10
Senior Cook

geetika and oneoffour,
Thank you for the information, I already checked with the store today to hold the pan for me. It is an oval Au Gratin pan with lid, not very tall but about 17"x12".
Thank you for the tip on the handles, I verified on the website and this pan is safe to use on the oven too. Looked to me the cooper was not 1.5 mm thick (looked thinner), but at this price, I can't argue it is a good deal. Specially when Amazon UK has it for 150 Lbs.