Does anyone use a Big Giant Roaster?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
fng_3887 said:
i just got a 16QT Rival Roaster yesterday for 9.98....woohoo....now i gotta get some recipes so that i can use it

$9.98? How the heck do you buy one for so little money? I would have bought two or three. You got a heck of a deal!

"special" lid for roaster

I just ordered my own (18-quart) roaster from nesco (at www.americanharvest.com) and also ordered the "circulating forced air lid" which is SUPPOSED to make this sort of steamer/roaster BROWN things very well - does anyone have any experience with these (lids?)

Re: "special" lid for roaster

pitbull said:
I just ordered my own (18-quart) roaster from nesco (at www.americanharvest.com) and also ordered the "circulating forced air lid" which is SUPPOSED to make this sort of steamer/roaster BROWN things very well - does anyone have any experience with these (lids?)

No experience, but very curious about how well it works. Do let us know, OK?

I'd love to know where you got it for that cheap! Id buy one for a back up and a few more for gifts. :)

pitbull said:
I just ordered my own (18-quart) roaster from nesco (at NESCO® American Harvest - online shopping cookware) and also ordered the "circulating forced air lid" which is SUPPOSED to make this sort of steamer/roaster BROWN things very well - does anyone have any experience with these (lids?)

I went to your Americanharvest.com site. Is that just a vent system in the lid with various settings for proper vent adjustment? They don't really show too much. I have a lot of vented lids that can be opened and closed with vent settings; one for my roaster and another for my steamer...etc. They give you a little more control over your cooking than a piece of foil. I would be interested to have more information from your manual about techniques for roasting or steaming.

scrappin & Stir - sorry, but I haven't seen psiguy, fng or pitbull for a really long time here (the posts were from Nov '04)
However, they still have the big giant roaster at Wal-mart for under $30!

These are more for an extra oven than a crockpot kind of application, although they can be used for that.
To the posters that say things don't get crisp--do you absolutely have to put water in these? My mother had one (a Westinghouse!) and used it to roast turkey, etc. Can't you just put the chicken (e.g.) in a pan, no water in the bottom and roast? I am sure she did this.

jkath said:
However, they still have the big giant roaster at Wal-mart for under $30!

You're right, jkath. I saw them for that advertised as a Christmas gift item this year. And, if I'm not mistaken, they also came with the buffet insert (3 shallow trays in a frame) to make it easy to serve several sides for a party, etc.

I've had mine for quite a few years. It really, really came in handy this last Thanksgiving. I needed extra room to cook 4 sides - we have only one oven - so I stacked them with a rack between them and everything turned out tickety-poo. My grandmother had the old-style Nesco roaster and used it all the time.

Another "amen" vote for the giant roaster.

I've know folks to make awesome slow cooked chili in those and roast turkeys in them. SO I think you got yourself a winner.

Back
Top Bottom