"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 01-22-2005, 12:45 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Double boiler help

i've been making the perfect, smoothest, sharpest, richest lemon curd for close to 20 years now. obviously i use a double boiler. it's a holiday tradition with us and the family looks forward to the lemon meringue tartlets.

...but something has gone awry. one of my daughters brought her boyfriend who is a VERY finicky eater [he didn't know if he wanted to eat the cornish hens because he had never tried them before]. anyway, he made a comment that the curd had a metallic taste. the problem is that he is right. all these years i have never noticed it, but he's right. the lemon juice is leaching the metallic taste from the double boiler. PARADIGM SHIFT [that's so 90's but it still sounds cool].

has anyone out there safely used a pyrex bowl in a double boiler set up? i really don't want to invest in an expensive porcelain double boiler set so i'm looking for answers.

marmalady?

Old 01-22-2005, 04:59 PM   #2
Senior Cook

Location: USA - Chicago, Illinois ~ On a windy day, I can almost get a frisbee to Midway Airport.
A Pyrex bowl will do you just fine. In fact, I use a Pyrex bowl more often than a stainless. I only use a stainless for my chocolate muffin recipe that also calls for a hand mixer once the chocolate is melted.

Bottom line - Glass will work perfectly for Lemon Curd.

RJ

Old 01-22-2005, 05:03 PM   #3
Senior Cook

great, thanx...my concern was that the pyrex would explode in the middle of a holiday meal.
Old 01-23-2005, 12:34 AM   #4
Master Chef

I don't see any problem using a Pyrex bowl to make a double boiler ... I've done it with no problems, TV chefs do it, and Mom has a double-boiler that is all Pyrex (top and bottom).
Old 01-23-2005, 08:02 AM   #5
Head Chef

Cafeandy, a fellow Texan and Lemon Curd maker here, myself!

The only way I ever make curd or any other custard is using a pyrex bowl. It works perfectly, can stand up to the heat admirably, and makes whisking a true breeze! Somewhere in my cabinets is the top of my double boiler discarded years ago in favor of pyrex bowls. Which reminds me of the main reason why I discarded the thing -- pyrex bowls are SO much easier to clean!
Old 01-23-2005, 09:07 AM   #6
Senior Cook

God bless texas...and pyrex
Old 01-27-2005, 07:52 PM   #7
Senior Cook

I don't have a double boiler and have thought now and then of purchasing one. I am SO excited to have read the posts on this subject. Now, I don't need to go out and buy a double boiler, but just make up my own with a pot and Pyrex bowl. So, cool. Thanks!
Old 01-29-2005, 10:29 PM   #8
Senior Cook

Dumb question alert: So you're just putting a pyrex dish of varying size into a pot of boiling water, right?
Old 01-30-2005, 10:24 PM   #9
Senior Cook

sorta...the bottom of the bowl should be a couple of inches [at least] above the top of the boiling [simmering] water.