"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 10-08-2007, 08:41 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Double burner griddle for glass top stove?

I like to make breakfast (usually pancakes) for a group of friends every once in a while. I have a glass top electric stove with a bridge element between two of the burners and would like to take advantage of it. I picked up an inexpensive aluminum non-stick griddle that spanned the burners, but it quickly warped and I was disappointed in it. I paid about $25 for it. I prefer cast iron, but haven't found a flat bottom griddle that I can use for pancakes. All of the ones I've seen are reversible and would put a non-flat grill face on the glass stove top.

So, can anyone recommend a non-warping two burner griddle that be used on a glass top stove? I would prefer cast iron, but non-stick sturdy aluminum would be okay. Key features for me are even heating and non-warping.

Or should I just be looking at the large electric griddles?

thanks!
Bob

Old 10-08-2007, 09:04 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Sorry, Bob, I have no experience with a glass top stove, but I do have a large electric griddle. I love it and use it almost weekly for breakfast. It does a great job cooking pancakes, bacon, sausage, eggs, French toast, etc. I also had one years ago when our 5 children (4 of them sons) were still at home and I don't know how I got along without it when it came to feeding that group at breakfast time. Good luck with your quest.

Old 10-08-2007, 09:09 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Bob........

Check All Clad griddles with non-stick surface. I'm not sure if they are flat on the bottom or not. Check them out. Good Luck!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 09:18 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpm View Post
...Or should I just be looking at the large electric griddles?

thanks!
Bob
Not a bad way to go. You don't have to worry about regulating the temperature by adjusting the two burners and you don't take up half your stove burners which you could be using to cook other things.
Old 10-09-2007, 09:14 AM   #5
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
You don't have to worry about regulating the temperature by adjusting the two burners.
That's actually something you can use to your advantage. If you are cooking different items that require different cooking temps, you can adjust the burners to make one side a little hotter than the other.
Old 10-09-2007, 10:17 AM   #6
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Bob........

Check All Clad griddles with non-stick surface. I'm not sure if they are flat on the bottom or not. Check them out. Good Luck!
That's exactly what I use on my glasstop stove. Works great.
Old 10-09-2007, 11:34 AM   #7
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
That's exactly what I use on my glasstop stove. Works great.
Is yours the All-Clad LTD Nonstick Double Burner Griddle Pan?
I was looking at this product on the Williams Sonoma site and they say it's not for use on glass-top stoves. Are they mistaken?

-Bob
Old 10-09-2007, 12:07 PM   #8
Master Chef

Quote:
Is yours the All-Clad LTD Nonstick Double Burner Griddle Pan?
I was looking at this product on the Williams Sonoma site and they say it's not for use on glass-top stoves. Are they mistaken?

-Bob
It's SS, I think. Nonstick double griddle. I've had it for about 5 years now and it works great.

I don't believe anything anyone says about not using cookware on a glasstop stove.

I use it all. Cast Iron. Ridged bottoms. LC dutch ovens. It all works fine and has for the 9 years I've cooked on the stove. I have a small scratch and a tiny burned patch from making jelly but neither was the result of using cookware not recommended.

Did they say WHY it should be used?
Old 10-09-2007, 12:21 PM   #9
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
Did they say WHY it should be used?
Williams Sonoma didn't say why, but I looked it up on Amazon and one reviewer said that "the bottom is raised about 3/8 inch due to the grease channel that runs around the perimeter, and it is thus not compatible with our ceramic cooktop. I contacted All-Clad, and they confirmed that it will not work on smooth cooktops."

I've used a lot of cast iron on my glasstop stove with great success, but all of it has had a pretty flat bottom.
-Bob
Old 10-09-2007, 01:12 PM   #10
Master Chef

Quote:
Williams Sonoma didn't say why, but I looked it up on Amazon and one reviewer said that "the bottom is raised about 3/8 inch due to the grease channel that runs around the perimeter, and it is thus not compatible with our ceramic cooktop. I contacted All-Clad, and they confirmed that it will not work on smooth cooktops."

I've used a lot of cast iron on my glasstop stove with great success, but all of it has had a pretty flat bottom.
-Bob
Mine is exactly like that and it works fine. So that's a bunch of BS, if you ask me. My pancakes are yummy!