Double burner griddle for glass top stove?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rpm

Assistant Cook
I like to make breakfast (usually pancakes) for a group of friends every once in a while. I have a glass top electric stove with a bridge element between two of the burners and would like to take advantage of it. I picked up an inexpensive aluminum non-stick griddle that spanned the burners, but it quickly warped and I was disappointed in it. I paid about $25 for it. I prefer cast iron, but haven't found a flat bottom griddle that I can use for pancakes. All of the ones I've seen are reversible and would put a non-flat grill face on the glass stove top.

So, can anyone recommend a non-warping two burner griddle that be used on a glass top stove? I would prefer cast iron, but non-stick sturdy aluminum would be okay. Key features for me are even heating and non-warping.

Or should I just be looking at the large electric griddles?

thanks!
Bob

Sorry, Bob, I have no experience with a glass top stove, but I do have a large electric griddle. I love it and use it almost weekly for breakfast. It does a great job cooking pancakes, bacon, sausage, eggs, French toast, etc. I also had one years ago when our 5 children (4 of them sons) were still at home and I don't know how I got along without it when it came to feeding that group at breakfast time. Good luck with your quest.

Bob........

Check All Clad griddles with non-stick surface. I'm not sure if they are flat on the bottom or not. Check them out. Good Luck!

...Or should I just be looking at the large electric griddles?

thanks!
Bob

Not a bad way to go. You don't have to worry about regulating the temperature by adjusting the two burners and you don't take up half your stove burners which you could be using to cook other things.

You don't have to worry about regulating the temperature by adjusting the two burners.

That's actually something you can use to your advantage. If you are cooking different items that require different cooking temps, you can adjust the burners to make one side a little hotter than the other.

That's exactly what I use on my glasstop stove. Works great.

Is yours the [FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica, geneva][FONT=Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Helvetica]All-Clad LTD Nonstick Double Burner Griddle Pan?[/FONT][/FONT]
I was looking at this product on the Williams Sonoma site and they say it's not for use on glass-top stoves. Are they mistaken?

-Bob

Is yours the [FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica, geneva][FONT=Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Helvetica]All-Clad LTD Nonstick Double Burner Griddle Pan?[/FONT][/FONT]
I was looking at this product on the Williams Sonoma site and they say it's not for use on glass-top stoves. Are they mistaken?

-Bob

It's SS, I think. Nonstick double griddle. I've had it for about 5 years now and it works great.

I don't believe anything anyone says about not using cookware on a glasstop stove.

I use it all. Cast Iron. Ridged bottoms. LC dutch ovens. It all works fine and has for the 9 years I've cooked on the stove. I have a small scratch and a tiny burned patch from making jelly but neither was the result of using cookware not recommended.

Did they say WHY it should be used?

Did they say WHY it should be used?

Williams Sonoma didn't say why, but I looked it up on Amazon and one reviewer said that "the bottom is raised about 3/8 inch due to the grease channel that runs around the perimeter, and it is thus not compatible with our ceramic cooktop. I contacted All-Clad, and they confirmed that it will not work on smooth cooktops."

I've used a lot of cast iron on my glasstop stove with great success, but all of it has had a pretty flat bottom.
-Bob

Williams Sonoma didn't say why, but I looked it up on Amazon and one reviewer said that "the bottom is raised about 3/8 inch due to the grease channel that runs around the perimeter, and it is thus not compatible with our ceramic cooktop. I contacted All-Clad, and they confirmed that it will not work on smooth cooktops."

I've used a lot of cast iron on my glasstop stove with great success, but all of it has had a pretty flat bottom.
-Bob

Mine is exactly like that and it works fine. So that's a bunch of BS, if you ask me. My pancakes are yummy!

An All-Clad two burner griddle is going to set you back a hundred bucks. For less than a hundred bucks (Cuisinart is $94.00 and Wolfgang Puck is $70.00) you can buy a counter top electric grill/griddle with a reversible plate that has much more cooking surface than the stove-top two-burner grill, can be thrown into the dishwasher, and has an adjustible thermostat to set the temperature to EXACTLY the temperature you want.

I have both, and my Lodge two burner grill/griddle has been sitting on the bottom of my oven catching drips for the last three years, while my electric one gets used at least two week-ends a month.

I got a Farberware non-stick double griddle on Amazon for $20 and it works perfectly on my smooth-top range at the coast. This particular griddle is aluminum and has a porcelain finish on the bottom. I checked Amazon just now and they don't have any in stock at the moment, but they have them regularly because I bought a second one for my daughter after I liked mine so much. They do have other similar ones on Amazon but they are more expensive ($40-$50).

Thanks for all input!

I decided to order the "Chef's Design Ultimate Griddle" from Amazon for $49. It's heavy cast aluminum, with ss reinforcing the non-stick surface. It has good reviews by folks with glass and ceramic stove tops. I'll report back on it once it arrives and I try it out.

-Bob

Glad you found one, Bob. I checked it at Amazon and it looks great. I like the grease channel. Be sure and leave a review on Amazon, too, after you use yours. I really appreciate being able to read unbiased reviews when I'm buying online.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom