Doubling up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pengyou

Senior Cook
I have attached a photo of my oven with two disposable cake pans side by side init, as well as a pic of the disposable next to a real cake pan. The disposable is about one inche shorter , half an inch narrower and half an inch less deep than the real one. I need to make 16 of the disposable pan cakes over the next couple of days. I am guessing i will use half a cup less batter. What does wisdom say about putting two in the oven side by side?

Ill try again...one day i will get photos right the first time.

Attachments

• 20180114_124713.jpg
    20180114_124713.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 165
  • 20180114_124649.jpg
    20180114_124649.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 131
I would go with the smaller pan. It will be more economical in the long run. That half cup of batter could (or just might) become the 17th cake for your family to enjoy. And by going with the small pan, it will leave you more room and space to separate them.

I'm not much of a baker, but on a couple of occasions I've used two half sheet pans, one over the other on two racks. There is a significant difference between the top and bottom rack, and there is a noticeable difference front to back (at least in my oven). Halfway through I swapped the pans from upper to lower, and turned them 180 degrees front to back, which worked well.

When I make things like lasagna in two half size dishes on one rack, I don't notice much of a difference from one side to the other or front to back. My guess is that you will notice more of a difference when the oven is closer to full.

Side by side should be OK as long as there is an inch or more of space all around the two pans and in between them for heated air to circulate. This will ensure more even cooking of the cakes.

Side by side should be OK as long as there is an inch or more of space all around the two pans and in between them for heated air to circulate. This will ensure more even cooking of the cakes.

I don't know if she took out one shelf for the picture or not, but if she has only one shelf, she will do better with the smaller pans, side by side like you said Andy.

And who do you know except for those with a self cleaning oven, has an oven that looks that new?

Back
Top Bottom