"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 01-20-2008, 09:55 PM   #11
Senior Cook

The 7.25 qt. Le Creuset DO is the most used piece of cookware in my kitchen.

Old 01-23-2008, 10:03 PM   #12
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to wysiwyg
Bean208,
Check Macy's for LeCreuset products, they are on sale now. Today, I bought a 7.25 Qtr. Dutch Oven (round) for $140.99 from $234.99 original price. There is an additional discount if you use a Macy's card or if you open a new account.

Old 01-23-2008, 10:25 PM   #13
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by wysiwyg View Post
Bean208,
Check Macy's for LeCreuset products, they are on sale now. Today, I bought a 7.25 Qtr. Dutch Oven (round) for $140.99 from $234.99 original price. There is an additional discount if you use a Macy's card or if you open a new account.
Thanks for the heads up!! I'll check it out!
Old 01-29-2008, 11:27 PM   #14
Senior Cook

Bean208,
For the first time ever, I was at a Williams Sonoma store today -honest, I never been there since their prices are scary to me-, they had LeC stuff on sale.
The sales lady told me they are no longer carrying the Dijon (bright yellow) color, there was a 9 1/2 Qt. oval doefeu for $140 from $295 original price. Maybe you can find similar deals near by where you live.

Bonne shopping !
Old 02-07-2008, 10:30 PM   #15
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff G. View Post
For the oven. Get a Magnalite dutch oven. Hands down one of the finest pots I own. If you have never cooked in/on magnalite you are missing out.

It's a lot lighter than some others but the material it is made from spreads the heat evenly. My mother made over 10,000 cream pies for the restaurant we owned. Every one was made from scratch and the cream filling cooked in a magnalite roaster on the stove top. She could trust it to not have hot spots which would scorch the milk.
I still have that roaster and it is as good as new.
http://www.worldkitchen.com/Magnalite/web/
gotta co-sign the magnalite recommendation.

my parents were given a set of magnalite cookware when i was like 5 yrs old, and they're STILL cooking with it today!!!!

that dutch oven has more miles on it than a used toyota pickup truck.

otherwise, i'd recommend the tramontina 6.5 qt DO you can purchase at wal-mart.
Old 02-08-2008, 12:13 AM   #16
Senior Cook

black chef,
Are the magnalite pans anodized or they are just plain Aluminum?
I was curious and check their website, there is no indication about the type of finish.
Are the cooking surfaces of your parents Magnalite pans pitted at all?

Another thing I found puzzling, (I am an engineer and work with Al parts) they advertise the cookware as "hand-pour cast aluminum". In order to have accurate, very consistent parts, the prefered manufacturing process is machine injection, not hand-pouring Al. Machine injection is faster, helping achieve even wall thickness and packs the material much better in the molds/dies.
Old 02-08-2008, 09:56 AM   #17
Executive Chef

Maybe a worker pushes a button to actuate the injection machine. "Hand Poured"

I always wondered why companies use an angle like that for marketing. lol
Old 02-08-2008, 10:19 AM   #18
Cook

The AllClad Emerilware Dutch oven is a bargain if you can find them... $35.00

It is NOT dishwasher safe though... I like the LeCruiset but the same Dutch Oven from LC is ~$195.00
Old 02-17-2008, 08:56 AM   #19
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by wysiwyg View Post
black chef,
Are the magnalite pans anodized or they are just plain Aluminum?
I was curious and check their website, there is no indication about the type of finish.
Are the cooking surfaces of your parents Magnalite pans pitted at all?

Another thing I found puzzling, (I am an engineer and work with Al parts) they advertise the cookware as "hand-pour cast aluminum". In order to have accurate, very consistent parts, the prefered manufacturing process is machine injection, not hand-pouring Al. Machine injection is faster, helping achieve even wall thickness and packs the material much better in the molds/dies.
uh, i believe the magnalite pans are just plain aluminum, and the ones my parents own are NOT pitted at all... they look used, but they been HEAVILY used since i was a very little boy = over 30 yrs ago.

FYI to everyone: tramontina is NOW re-stocking wal-mart with their 6.5 qt dutch oven. basically, they've been out-of-stock since right before christimas, but now, they're on the shelves again.

i recently bought one for myself, and one for my mom. the pots are VERY heavy & they heat up good, but i do have to admit... the handles are WAY too small for a pot that heavy. however at $43 (with taxes), you can't beat them.
Old 02-23-2008, 04:51 PM   #20
Master Chef

I just watched America's test kitchen and they had a segment on dutch ovens. 2 were out of my price range but Mario Batali's dutch oven was rated good for under $100. I hope to get a dutch oven soon.