"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 03-10-2007, 09:30 PM   #21
Sous Chef

Candocook, I need to put the pot and cover in the oven to heat. Then I need to remove it from the oven. A hot heavy pot to place in and out of the oven. I prefer the lighter weight pot.

Old 03-10-2007, 09:35 PM   #22
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis
Thanks, GB. I wasn't sure where it was even used, but looking at your list of things to cook I see it's the stovetop and not the oven.
I don't think I would need one in the kitchen, but it's nice to learn about them.
Actually it is used on both the stove top and also in the oven.

Old 03-10-2007, 09:36 PM   #23
Executive Chef

just a warning from Robo the pot and pan guy...an enamelled cast iron dutch oven is a glorious thing...get 5qt or better. Be careful of products made in China. Many many consumer warnings on Yahoo etc about Color cast and the MarioBatali pots ... the enamel chips easily and is very uneven inside with little pits that can grow. It is worth spending more money for Creuset, Lodge, Lamont, etc made in America or Europe with better warenties. Yes good enamelling is expensive.
Old 03-10-2007, 09:48 PM   #24
Master Chef

I'm very happy with my two alluminum dutch ovens. Yes, some people say you can't use for tomatoes, but everything else works just fine. You can get one for around $10 $20 bucks. If you are interested I can give you alink to the place I got them, when I get to work on Monday, I do not have it at home.
Old 03-10-2007, 10:07 PM   #25
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey123
I own about 5 Dutch Ovens - and I enjoy using all of them.

Two of them are enamalled, one 8-qt. SS, one is a 5-qt. Lodge and one is an 8-qt. hard anodized aluminum one (Rachael Ray).
Corey.... I can relieve you of one!!!!!! LOL!!!

Ok, I found a Le Creuset for $229 at Tuesday Morning.... holy cow!!!!! I'm going in the wrong direction!!! This was a big one tho, much bigger than I would ever need or use.

OH, went to the movies today for the first time in years....$6 popcorn!!!!! What happened while I was gone????

I want to thank everyone for the links as well... I'm gonna have me a dutch oven very soon!!!!!
Old 03-10-2007, 10:10 PM   #26
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD
I'm very happy with my two alluminum dutch ovens. Yes, some people say you can't use for tomatoes, but everything else works just fine. You can get one for around $10 $20 bucks. If you are interested I can give you alink to the place I got them, when I get to work on Monday, I do not have it at home.
Yes, please send to me!!!! I am still going to add an enamled one to my collection as well, but would like to investigate these as well....
Old 03-10-2007, 11:30 PM   #27
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
I believe there is a Danish company that makes enameled aluminium dutch ovens.
Old 03-10-2007, 11:51 PM   #28
Head Chef

I got a practically new 5 quart Le Creuset off of ebay last month for $80 - it looks like it has never been used. I refused to pay a high price for one for years, a Le Creuset dutch oven was on my xmas list since 1985 with no takers, I finall decided to treat myself.

Ebay is a good place to pick up a nice dutch oven for alot less than the price of a new one.
Old 03-11-2007, 04:40 AM   #29
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by sattie
Corey.... I can relieve you of one!!!!!! LOL!!!

Ok, I found a Le Creuset for $229 at Tuesday Morning.... holy cow!!!!! I'm going in the wrong direction!!! This was a big one tho, much bigger than I would ever need or use.

OH, went to the movies today for the first time in years....$6 popcorn!!!!! What happened while I was gone????

I want to thank everyone for the links as well... I'm gonna have me a dutch oven very soon!!!!!

At $229? Geez, that must be some deal! Does it clean itself when your done?
Haha!!
Old 03-11-2007, 10:53 AM   #30
Sous Chef

Candocook, I need to put the pot and cover in the oven to heat. Then I need to remove it from the oven. A hot heavy pot to place in and out of the oven. I prefer the lighter weight pot.

I just pull my oven rack out, take off the top and plump the bread in.
But yes, I have discovered you can use just about ANY container for that bread. I have even used a cookie sheet for the bottom and an inverted (albeit very deep) springform pan for the top!!
A number of people on another board have bought inexpensive cast iron "dutch" ovens just for making this bread--6qt. for $25 on Amazon.

The $229 for the LC pot IS for the HUGE pot that probably lists for $350--maybe 9+ sts. It is a fairly good price for that pot but I am not tempted--'way too heavy and big for any need I have.
Be sure you know the shipping costs when ordering from EBay.