Dutch oven sticker shock!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I bought two 12 quart cast iron Dutch ovens at a farm auction for 20 bucks apiece. They being too large for my no knead bread dough, I just bought a 4 quart cast iron Dutch oven made by Lodge. I bought it from Academy Sports for 28 bucks. Had to look for it, because two associates didn't even know what I was talking about and both told me they didn't stock them. I found them with the cast iron skillets in the Camping section. (needless to say, I took the oven to both associates and showed them what it looked like!!!!)

Bob

I got the crema color... no orange here!!! LOL! I looked at Target and could not find anything, guess I should have looked online.... oh well, I'm just glad I am finally getting one!!!!
Sattie,

How do you like your Mario Batali and how often do you use it? The "look" is very nice, but I don't have any experience with performance.

Thanks.

I bought a Dutch Oven at Target. It is a Chefmate, 5 Qts. round, I paid $ 40.
According to Cook Illustrated, this unit performs equal to a Le Creuset (I don't have one of these to compared them). So far, it has been great.
I also got an oval one from IKEA for $ 50, -made in France, matte enamelled interior- and is also great. Good luck in your search.

Wysiwyg,

How do you like your IKEA DO? :angel: The IKEA skillet and saute pans get pretty good reviews on the net I've found.

I'm looking to use the matte enameled interior for sauces that stain and save my lighter interior DO for non-acidic sauces. Any advice on that?

Thanks so much:)

Sattie,

How do you like your Mario Batali and how often do you use it? The "look" is very nice, but I don't have any experience with performance.

Thanks.

I really like it and have been pleased with it. I use mine about once a week to every two weeks. The only thing I don't like about it and I am sure it is true with any DO is cleaning it. It's heavy! And another draw back and I am not sure this is true with all DOs, but the handels get really hot as they are part of the casting of the DO.

I love seeing peoples opinions on DO's. I find them indespensible and one of my favorite things to use in the kitchen. I used LC for years they are a great product and worth the $$ if you have it to spare.

I keep a smallish (3-4) qt enameled cast iron DO on my stovetop. This is my go to pot. It is used almost daily for everything from reheating on up. I got it cheap on ebay it is vintage and has a raw bottom. I love the even heating and the long retention. Nothing burns or boils over or dries out. Cleanup is always easy.

I also have recently restored my grandmothers larger raw cast iron DO to use and I love it too. Someone mentions they think the cast iron pots are ugly but I think it is a beautiful thing. I still miss the large Le Creuset I used to use and will get one as soon as budget allows. They are expensive but I figure it will be worth it as it should last a lifetime.

The raw CI is great but for making tomato sauce and other long cooking acidic foods I prefer to use the enameled.

I have another CI DO that needs to be restored that I plan to use for camping (grandma's has a glass lid)

I have two DO's. Both are Descoware and I found both second hand. The first on is round and I bought it off of eBay without the lid. Then I found a lid for it seperately. It was a normal size and ended up being cheaper that way. The second one is oval and I got it at the thrift store for $9.99. I love Descoware when I can find it. It's nice and light and the enamel holds up well. BTW, the round one is a 5qt and the oval one is a 4qt.

kmarlec,
The IKEA stuff is great, the only complain I have is the dark enameled inside.
Is harder to get a visual clue about how well are done veggies for example, but other than that it is a workhorse.
I use the Chefmate and LeCreuset stuff (clear enamel inside) to prepare sauces and all sort of darker colored food and had no issues. I should compare them to new pieces though to ensure they are not getting darker, but I would say there is no issue with that.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom