"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 03-24-2007, 11:57 AM   #51
Master Chef

I got the crema color... no orange here!!! LOL! I looked at Target and could not find anything, guess I should have looked online.... oh well, I'm just glad I am finally getting one!!!!

Old 05-20-2007, 09:21 PM   #52
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to wysiwyg
I bought a Dutch Oven at Target. It is a Chefmate, 5 Qts. round, I paid $ 40.
According to Cook Illustrated, this unit performs equal to a Le Creuset (I don't have one of these to compared them). So far, it has been great.
I also got an oval one from IKEA for $ 50, -made in France, matte enamelled interior- and is also great. Good luck in your search.

Old 05-20-2007, 10:46 PM   #53
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey123
Yeah, I heard about the stuff that is out by Mario Batali. Orange because the color of the clogs he wears is orange.

What other celebrity chef will have stuff out in his or her name?
Racheal RAy has a line. Daniel Boulud has a line. Mario's line has a lot of cool colors, not just orange.
Old 05-21-2007, 12:49 PM   #54
Executive Chef

I've only seen Mario's stuff in orange so far.
Old 05-21-2007, 09:26 PM   #55
Assistant Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to bookworm
Have y'all seen that Amazon has the Lodge 6 quart Enamel on Cast Iron Dutch Oven on preorder for $59.02? Free shipping! It'll be available on July 15th. I've been visiting the Mario Batalli oven on my wish list every other day for months but I plain cannot afford it. I've pre-ordered the Lodge in Island Spice. Yay!
Old 05-21-2007, 09:39 PM   #56
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookworm
Have y'all seen that Amazon has the Lodge 6 quart Enamel on Cast Iron Dutch Oven on preorder for $59.02? Free shipping! It'll be available on July 15th. I've been visiting the Mario Batalli oven on my wish list every other day for months but I plain cannot afford it. I've pre-ordered the Lodge in Island Spice. Yay!
You mention Amazon, bookworm. Have you checked out the "Friday" sales. I always look on that site on Fridays...just in case. You might want to investigate that avenue as well. Happy shopping.

P.S. By the way, we have two Le Creuset Dutch ovens and looooove them. We feel they are worth the price. Just my humble opinion.
Old 05-22-2007, 09:43 AM   #57
Cook

Mario's line comes in a beige, green, orange, and maybe others. Amazon is a great source and if you look in the Outlet, there are many buys there too. LC, Staub, Lodge (has several "price points" from expensive to inexpensive"), Daniel Boulud, Racheal Ray--all have lines.
Thanks for the heads up on that Lodge! I love enamel cast iron for lots of things.
Old 05-22-2007, 09:52 AM   #58
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookworm
Bookworm, I bought one of these ovens back in October when Lodge first introduced them. It's a great oven, and I think you'll be very happy with it.

Just a tip, I just saw some of these ovens at Wal-Mart a couple of weeks ago (I'm also in the DFW area) for less than what Amazon is selling them. If you're anxious to get one, you might want to check your local store to see if they have any in stock.
Old 05-22-2007, 11:33 AM   #59
Assistant Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to bookworm
Wal-Mart? Who knew?! Thanks for the tip.
Old 06-21-2007, 10:07 AM   #60
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by sattie
As my kitchen experience grows... so do my cooking tools. Over the years, I find myself making better decisions on what tools I will actually use vs stuff that gets pushed to the back of the cabinet for the next 10 years. Admittedly, my cooking pans were always last to be considered in quality and use.

I have been trying to buy quality cookware, be it one piece at a time. I have been wanting to add a dutch oven to my cooking tools and set off to purchase one today without much thought or consideration. With my 20% off coupon in hand.. I headed out to the nearest BB&B and found the only dutch oven they carried by Caphlon (sp?) at a zesty price $127!!!! I expected around $60 or so I was quite amazed! I don't mind spending the money for a good quality product, but I have to ask you folks a few questions....

Is this something worth trying to find at a garage sale.. second hand? Perhaps some DCer has one they would be willing to part with..

Or is this truly a cooking investment that will be well worth it to "suck it up"?

I am sure there are far better places to look for cook ware, but just curious what you folks look for in a dutch oven?
Honestly, I'd go to your local camping supply. You can get cast iron dutch ovens for use in the great outdoors, but it can easily be used indoors as well, both on the stove top and in the oven. The last one I priced was around $20.