Dutch oven sticker shock!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Candocook said:
I used to have a set of Club aluminum (how dated is that!!) and that is what they called their 6qt pot--a Dutch oven. But it was really just a heavy large metal pan.

Don't have the set, Cando, but got the Dutch oven piece from MIL (along with an excellent CI frying pan). I use it more than my Le Creuset dutch oven and put tomatoey ingredients in it all the time with nary a worry. Thing's gotta be at least 40 years old.

Elf said:
Why pay that much for an enamled cast iron dutch oven when you can pick up plain cast iron dutch oven at Bass Pro for under $50, with out legs,that will do the same job and is naturely nonstick?

Hi, Elf. I love cast iron and use it quite often but it will react with acidic foods like wine, citrus and tomatoes especially when the food is cooling down. So if you're gonna cook something like a coq au vin that cooks, marinates overnight, then reheats and reduces the next day non-reactive enameled cookware really is worth the money.

The only "worry" with tomato and cast iron and aluminum is taste. Use it to your heart's content. I enjoyed mine. I love my LC and other cheaper enamel cast iron now for the evenness of cooking and the GREAT ability to sear meats better than in anything else.
And I repeat, there is a lot of ECI now that is not so exorbitantly priced. Racheal Ray's line is good. Daniel Boulud has a line. I love my Innova (cute BRIGHT yellow!!) that was the same price or cheaper than plain cast iron.
AND I have cast iron as well that has its place and use.

Robo, can you direct me please to that forum you mentioned on Yahoo where they were discussing the enameled cast iron made in China? I've looked but was unable to find it. I'm always looking for great cooking forums to read. Thanks much :rolleyes:;-)!

I just got paid today.... so I am off to get my oven!!!!!!! Now I just need to figure out what I want to cook in it first!!!!

Where are you getting it? Too lazy to go back and look.

Curiosity got me. I REALLY REALLY hope you are going to get an enamel cast iron.

Ok.... maybe I fibbed a bit when I said I was off to buy one.....I ordered mine off Amazon for 99 bucks and free shipping. I opted for the Mario Batali version, it was one quart bigger (6 quart) and had a nice easy handles on the pot. I looked at the Lodge for the same price, but I did not like the lid handle, looked to art deco to me to be of any use. Yes, it is enamaled.

I too had stickershock when I looked at enamel cast iron dutch ovens, Le Creuset, Staub. I just got the Chef Mate dutch oven at Target that was recommended by Cooks Illustrated for $40. Took a while to find one. Works great. Missed the Staub sale at Amazon so am waiting patiently for the next sale for other pieces. Also keeping my eyes open at Costco.

Oh, good. And the Target oven was rated by a cooking mag as the best buy. Costco is carrying Racheal Ray's line which looks nice.
Can't remember if I said it but I gave the Mario Batali oven to our 3 adult kids for christmas. Nice design.
The Batali oven is also a good design/shape for making risotto.

Yeah, I heard about the stuff that is out by Mario Batali. Orange because the color of the clogs he wears is orange.

What other celebrity chef will have stuff out in his or her name?

Last edited:
I got the crema color... no orange here!!! LOL! I looked at Target and could not find anything, guess I should have looked online.... oh well, I'm just glad I am finally getting one!!!!

I bought a Dutch Oven at Target. It is a Chefmate, 5 Qts. round, I paid $ 40.
According to Cook Illustrated, this unit performs equal to a Le Creuset (I don't have one of these to compared them). So far, it has been great.
I also got an oval one from IKEA for $ 50, -made in France, matte enamelled interior- and is also great. Good luck in your search.

Corey123 said:
Yeah, I heard about the stuff that is out by Mario Batali. Orange because the color of the clogs he wears is orange.

What other celebrity chef will have stuff out in his or her name?

Racheal RAy has a line. Daniel Boulud has a line. Mario's line has a lot of cool colors, not just orange.

Have y'all seen that Amazon has the Lodge 6 quart Enamel on Cast Iron Dutch Oven on preorder for $59.02? Free shipping! It'll be available on July 15th. I've been visiting the Mario Batalli oven on my wish list every other day for months but I plain cannot afford it. I've pre-ordered the Lodge in Island Spice. Yay!

bookworm said:
Have y'all seen that Amazon has the Lodge 6 quart Enamel on Cast Iron Dutch Oven on preorder for $59.02? Free shipping! It'll be available on July 15th. I've been visiting the Mario Batalli oven on my wish list every other day for months but I plain cannot afford it. I've pre-ordered the Lodge in Island Spice. Yay!

You mention Amazon, bookworm. Have you checked out the "Friday" sales. I always look on that site on Fridays...just in case. You might want to investigate that avenue as well. Happy shopping.

P.S. By the way, we have two Le Creuset Dutch ovens and looooove them. We feel they are worth the price. Just my humble opinion.

Mario's line comes in a beige, green, orange, and maybe others. Amazon is a great source and if you look in the Outlet, there are many buys there too. LC, Staub, Lodge (has several "price points" from expensive to inexpensive"), Daniel Boulud, Racheal Ray--all have lines.
Thanks for the heads up on that Lodge! I love enamel cast iron for lots of things.

bookworm said:

Bookworm, I bought one of these ovens back in October when Lodge first introduced them. It's a great oven, and I think you'll be very happy with it.

Just a tip, I just saw some of these ovens at Wal-Mart a couple of weeks ago (I'm also in the DFW area) for less than what Amazon is selling them. If you're anxious to get one, you might want to check your local store to see if they have any in stock.

sattie said:
As my kitchen experience grows... so do my cooking tools. Over the years, I find myself making better decisions on what tools I will actually use vs stuff that gets pushed to the back of the cabinet for the next 10 years. Admittedly, my cooking pans were always last to be considered in quality and use.

I have been trying to buy quality cookware, be it one piece at a time. I have been wanting to add a dutch oven to my cooking tools and set off to purchase one today without much thought or consideration. With my 20% off coupon in hand.. I headed out to the nearest BB&B and found the only dutch oven they carried by Caphlon (sp?) at a zesty price $127!!!! :huh: I expected around $60 or so I was quite amazed! I don't mind spending the money for a good quality product, but I have to ask you folks a few questions....

Is this something worth trying to find at a garage sale.. second hand? Perhaps some DCer has one they would be willing to part with.. :-p

Or is this truly a cooking investment that will be well worth it to "suck it up"?

I am sure there are far better places to look for cook ware, but just curious what you folks look for in a dutch oven?

Honestly, I'd go to your local camping supply. You can get cast iron dutch ovens for use in the great outdoors, but it can easily be used indoors as well, both on the stove top and in the oven. The last one I priced was around $20.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom