"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 03-10-2007, 12:54 AM   #1
Master Chef

Dutch oven sticker shock!

As my kitchen experience grows... so do my cooking tools. Over the years, I find myself making better decisions on what tools I will actually use vs stuff that gets pushed to the back of the cabinet for the next 10 years. Admittedly, my cooking pans were always last to be considered in quality and use.

I have been trying to buy quality cookware, be it one piece at a time. I have been wanting to add a dutch oven to my cooking tools and set off to purchase one today without much thought or consideration. With my 20% off coupon in hand.. I headed out to the nearest BB&B and found the only dutch oven they carried by Caphlon (sp?) at a zesty price $127!!!! I expected around $60 or so I was quite amazed! I don't mind spending the money for a good quality product, but I have to ask you folks a few questions....

Is this something worth trying to find at a garage sale.. second hand? Perhaps some DCer has one they would be willing to part with..

Or is this truly a cooking investment that will be well worth it to "suck it up"?

I am sure there are far better places to look for cook ware, but just curious what you folks look for in a dutch oven?

Old 03-10-2007, 04:12 AM   #2
Head Chef

Buy this wonderful Dutch Oven and you will never regret it. It will serve you for many years to come and I truly believe that you deserve it.

If I had a quarter for every piece of junk that I have bought at a garage sale or second hand, I could buy it for you.

Either the lids are warped or the pot is. The lids never fit right on these second hand pots and pans. Once in a blue moon, something has been a good find.

People know the value of their stuff and garage sales can get pretty pricey. Once in a while, I see something that is $3 higher than the retail stores... brand new.

Your instinct led you to a good product and something that you will use frequently.

Old 03-10-2007, 08:27 AM   #3
Chief Eating Officer

A good Dutch oven is expensive (and worth it), but if you can find one at a garage sale for a bargain then why not?

Have you considered a cast iron Dutch oven that is not enameled, such as Lodge? Those will be much less expensive.
Old 03-10-2007, 08:48 AM   #4
Head Chef

I have a Le Creuset 6 quart dutch oven, and it is worth every penny my daughter spent to give it to me a few Christmases ago.
Old 03-10-2007, 08:57 AM   #5
Sous Chef

Why do you want this "dutch" oven if you have an LC? I much prefer the heft of the enamel cast iron for the braising that I associate with dutch ovens (LCs are French ovens, of course! ;o) ). I have several sizes--5 qt.LC and 7 qt. Innova (under $50) plus a 2qt. French aluminum one that was my mother's.
Have you looked on Amazon? They have a Calphalon "chili pot" on sale often for under $50. Look in the Outlet.
But again, what purpose will this pot fill for your cooking choices?
Old 03-10-2007, 10:11 AM   #6
Senior Cook

When I began my quest of finding a good dutch oven, I was dumbstruck by the prices, as well! After doing my research, my plan was this: narrow it down to one or two ovens that I felt I would be happiest with, then see which one I could get the best deal on. Eventually I found my 7.25 qt. Le Creuset on ebay for $145 for a first quality, and I'm not looking back! If you buy something of great quality and take care of it, your kids, and perhaps grandkids, will be able to enjoy it also.
Old 03-10-2007, 12:07 PM   #7
Master Chef

Folks, I appreciate the replies. I do believe this is one to "take the dive for". I still can't believe it costs that much... there is a side of me that screams..."It's a freakin pan!" I love to do braising, roasts, stews, and one pot meals so I thought this would be a perfect fit for that.

I got my spice grinder last night... so I'm pumped about that!!!!!
Old 03-10-2007, 12:24 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

you really need one, good, heavy, large pot.

i have my mother's fully clad 8 qt. ss stock pot from the 50's. i think it's u.s.a. made farberware, which back then, was pretty good stuff. couldn't have learned to cook (fairly well, imho) without it.

still, i've had my eye one some large le cruesets. the best deal i've found is a late summer, fall-ish sale in bloomingdales, combining sales and coupons to reach about 50 to 60 percent off retail. so the 7 or 8 qt rounds were around a buck fifty.

hey, dw's shopping expertise has rubbed off on me...

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 12:50 PM   #9
Sous Chef

[quote=sattie]Folks, I appreciate the replies. I do believe this is one to "take the dive for". I still can't believe it costs that much... there is a side of me that screams..."It's a freakin pan!" I love to do braising, roasts, stews, and one pot meals so I thought this would be a perfect fit for that.

Why not use your Le Creuset? It is heavier than any SS "dutch oven" will be and therefore has better heat retention/temperature evenness.

But if you want it the Calphalon one is $99 here
Amazon.com: dutch oven
Old 03-10-2007, 02:26 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
A good Dutch oven is a must. I have two Le Creuset (5-quart, 9-quart) and use them all the time. In fact, I never put them away they are used so often.

Yes, they seemed expensive at the time (each over $100), but I've never had a piece of cookware perform as they do.

I'd say "suck it up" and get a good one. If you use your 20% off coupon, the pan should cost around $100 at BB&B. However, you might want to check Amazon (shipping is free over $25) or eBay. One of my Le Creuset pans came from eBay. I've also found super prices at a site called CutleryAndMore.com: Wusthof Knives, All Clad Cookware, Henckels Cutlery, Calphalon, Le Creuset, John Boos & More.. You might check there, too.

Good luck in your quest.