"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 10-10-2008, 02:53 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

I haven't received any more feedback on ceramic coated DOs, and the two second hand shops I went to today were both out of business, so I just pulled the trigger on the Lodge regular cast iron DO. I think I'll be happy with it once it gets good and seasoned.

Thanks for your advice.

Old 10-10-2008, 03:43 PM   #12
Executive Chef

I have't cooked anything with tomatoes in my CI DO's and we've experienced some staining in the enameled French oven which we use to make cacciatore and paprikash.

Old 10-10-2008, 06:19 PM   #13
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Andy, when you mentioned "non-reactive".... Do you think I would have a problem in a CI DO making chili (so we have the acidic tomatoes), and letting the chili sit in the DO overnight until it cools down? When the colder weather hits I often set a pot of someting out on the porch to cool down overnight. Do you think that would ruin the seasoning on a straight CI unit?...

I think it could. In addition, and more important, if there was a reaction between the tomato or other acidic ingredient and the CI, it would ruin the food.
Old 10-10-2008, 06:35 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I think it could. In addition, and more important, if there was a reaction between the tomato or other acidic ingredient and the CI, it would ruin the food.
Well, I guess I'll find out
I'll try to get it good and seasoned before I do that.
Old 10-12-2008, 03:35 PM   #15
Assistant Cook

Quote:
The only use I foresee right off the bat is for the NYT bread I'm still trying to get a handle on. Would a 5 qt model be OK for that? The dough swims in my other DO. And then I am wondering if I will use it for more things.... maybe grab it when I make stew or chili instead of one of my big non-stick pots, but I am wondering if the ceramic coated ones would be better for all around use... easier cleanup, no seasoning worries (not that seasoning is a worry, but it does add another element to the care of the DO).
I'm also wondering how they do for roasts. Right now my roasts take two pieces of cookware, one to sear the meat, then it goes in either the slow cooker or pressure cooker with the veggies. I love the way they come out either way and want at least equal satisfaction using the DO if I am going to eliminate an extra piece of cookware to clean. I'll "assume" the cooking time would be somewhere inbetween the two?

Any input?
I just today made the Cook's Illustrated version of the NYT "No Knead" bread using my 10.25" Lodge Dutch Oven. Interestingly enough, I made one yesterday in my 7.25 qt. LeCreuset. I used the Lodge because I needed the LeCreuset for something else. Size of the plain lodge pot was fine, and I see no diffence in the outcome. If you look at Williams-Sonoma's recipe for No Knead, they put it in an even smaller (2.75qt.) LeCreuset pot.

I primarily use my Lodge cast iron for deep frying (which I don't do a whole lot of), and almost always find myself using the enamaled cast iron for soups and stews, and especially chili - I am not sure if the concern over reactivity of the cast iron vessels with acidic is practical or academic considering a well-seasoned cooking vessel, but since I have both, I usually opt for the enameled cast iron (and it makes me feel better to get some use out of the expensive pots!).
Old 10-12-2008, 04:10 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Thanks for your input BigPapi.
And welcome to the forum!
Old 10-12-2008, 08:32 PM   #17
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Thanks for your input BigPapi.
And welcome to the forum!
Glad to be here. I've now got some catching up to do here reading through old posts.
Old 10-13-2008, 01:49 PM   #18
Senior Cook

If well seasoned, you shouldn't have much trouble with cast iron. I have cooked tomato base meals in my cast iron Dutch oven with out any problems.
Old 10-13-2008, 02:15 PM   #19
Head Chef

I'd love to buy one of the enamaled dutch ovens, but I'm waiting for a decent sale price.
Old 10-13-2008, 05:28 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Thanks for another endorsement, Elf. It's been shipped already, so hopefully any day now....