Dutch ovens

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There is a big difference between cooking something acidic in something reactive like CI or aluminum and storing it overnight in the referigerator in CI or aluminum.

When it comes to CI - the pot will season and become "nonreactive" over time - but the lid usually does not. Put the lid on - stick it in the refer - condensation will forn on the lid and drip back down into the pot.

One trick - after the DO has cooled - put a layer of heavy-duty Saran wrap over the top of the pot - to seperate it from the lid. This way, the condensation will form on the saran wrap, not the reactive lid.

Or - you could just transfer your stuff to something non-reactive before storing in the fridge.

Things with tomatoes will stain many soft plastics and leave them not only stained but feeling "greasy" - look for storage containers made from glass, ceramic or made from polycarbonate (a hard clear) plastic. I use polycarbonate storage containers for the local kitchen supply store and don't have a problem.

Last edited:
I love my DO and it has the design of one you could hang over a camp fire or use directly on the stove. I love it. I cook everything in it from boiled potatoes (I was desperate and the thing is seasoned from over 50 years of use) to frying onion rings. Cooking with oil in the thing has really helped its seasoning. Personally I like just having the one handle not attached to the body because it's easier to move. With the attached handles, those get hot making it harder to move, IMO.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom