"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware
Old 03-19-2016, 01:14 PM   #11
Certified Pretend Chef
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Seeing my beautiful Le Creuset enameled cast iron in my kitchen makes me happy. Therefore, my food is happy and tastes better. That's my story and I'm sticking to it
There's the answer! Leave the cabinet door open so you can look at you LeCrueset while you cook dinner in your SS pots and pans.

"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 06:13 PM   #12
Master Chef
One more idea about Cast iron, enameled cast iron, and SS; As I stated earlier, these materials are poor conductors of heat. They are also poor conductors of electricity. It is that poor conductivity that makes those pans work well on induction stoves. Ferrous metals have a good deal of natural resistance to electrical current flow. It is that resistivity that allows them to work with an induction stove.

Induction is the property that creates a current in a conductor as that conductor is either moved through a magnetic field, or the a magnetic field is moved across a conductor. Also, whenever a current is passed through a conductor, that conductor produces a magnetic field proportional to the strength of the current. The induction burner consists of a magnetic field producing source, typically a wire coil, that has an alternating current , or AC, passed through it. It is just under a ceramic plated. The alternating current creates expanding and contracting fields of electromagnetic force. The moving field creates electrical currents in any conductor that it passes through. If you were to place an aluminum, or copper pan on the activated burner, those currents would move through the pan easily, and produce little or no heat. But as steel and iron are both poor electrical conductors, as the currents move through them, they convert the electrical currents to heat. Because these eddy currents pass through all of the metal, there are no natural hot spots on the pan, as there is no direct contact to a heat source. The pans themselves are the heat source. Glass and ceramic are pure resistors and the magnetic waves of energy simply pass through them with no energy transfer to the material.

Now you know why the burner never gets hot on an inductive stove, only the cooking vessel. Induction stoves are the most efficient electric stoves as all of the energy applied creates heat only in the pot or pan. None is wasted as hot gas, or thermal radiation that goes beyond the pan and into the room.

So kids, that's another plus for cast iron and SS. These are the only pots and pans that will work with induction stoves, and give you all of the advantages of gas, with none of the drawbacks, such as possibly harmful byproducts of burning liquid propane or natural gas inside you home, and minimal danger of fires. The only downside is that when electrical power is lost to your home, your stove won't work. You can light gas burners with a kitchen match.

Is that too much info?

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote

cast iron, dutch oven, oven