Dutch Ovens - Why Cast Iron?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tenspeed

Executive Chef
Recent threads on Dutch ovens got me thinking (dangerous, I know!). Why use cast iron?

I have a 6 qt. Lodge CI Dutch oven and a 8 qt. Lenox tri-ply stock pot. The shape of the Dutch oven is more convenient for a lot of things, but the tri-ply is better for others, such as making roux. Tri-ply is quicker to respond to changes in the burner. It would seem that for most things, the thermal conductivity of tri-ply would make it a better choice (not to mention the weight). I'm trying to think of why the thermal mass of CI would be of an advantage in a Dutch oven (other than making bread).

Would you put coals from a campfire on top of your Triply lid or put it on a jet cooker to get it white hot for blackening?

Would you put coals from a campfire on top of your Triply lid or put it on a jet cooker to get it white hot for blackening?
I wouldn't do either with an enameled CI Dutch oven. I realize that a CI pan is good for searing, but that's usually done with a fry pan, not a Dutch oven.

I wouldn't do either with an enameled CI Dutch oven. I realize that a CI pan is good for searing, but that's usually done with a fry pan, not a Dutch oven.

You didn't mention that in your OP.;)

Cast iron is great for holding steady heat for dishes that braise or simmer for a long time, like soups, stews and braised meats.

This^^

Using a cast iron dutch oven for braising meats, either on top of the stove or in the oven will maintain the heat more consistently than a more conductive material will. I use both of my dutch ovens a lot, despite the awkwardness of manhandling heavier pots. They simply do a better job for stewing and braising.

The only time I've ever burned anything to the bottom of one of them is when I got distracted and forgot to lower the heat when it started to boil. As long as I pay attention initially, I can let even a tomato based sauce or stew simmer for hours without an worries about burning. The same is difficult to impossible with more conductive pan, especially on an electric range top where the element is cycling on and off.

Cast iron as cookware has a long history. It predates stainless steel, try-py, teflon, etc. It was originally used with open fires in colonial kitchens or out on the move.

Over the years, other materials have been introduced that have other beneficial properties. With gas and electric stoves and ovens, maintaining even heat throughout the cooking process is no longer an issue that relies on cookware material. Stainless triply brings other qualities to the game.

I do not believe two identical stews, pot roasts, etc., one cooked in a stainless try-ply pot and the other in cast iron (enameled or not) would taste different.

Cast iron as cookware has a long history. It predates stainless steel, try-py, teflon, etc. It was originally used with open fires in colonial kitchens or out on the move.

Over the years, other materials have been introduced that have other beneficial properties. With gas and electric stoves and ovens, maintaining even heat throughout the cooking process is no longer an issue that relies on cookware material. Stainless triply brings other qualities to the game.

I do not believe two identical stews, pot roasts, etc., one cooked in a stainless try-ply pot and the other in cast iron (enameled or not) would taste different.

+1
The only place I truly see cast iron has an advantage is in its versatility, and I'm talking about seasoned cast iron, not enameled. And I'm not convinced that searing is best done on cast iron, due to its poor thermal conductivity. I have found that cast iron develops hot spots, or in the case of my gas stove, a hot ring where the flame touches the metal. This creates places on the meat that are nearly burned by the time the remainder of the meat is properly seared. If I want an even temperature on the cooking surface, I have to use a diffuser under the pan/pot.

The true advantage of my cast iron, bet it my dutch oven, or any of my pans, is that they are virtually stick free, and can be placed over a camp-cooking fire, and they are nearly indestructible.

The real benefit of my cast iron, to me, is nostalgia. I'm using the same kind of cookware that my Dad used, my Mom used, my Grandparents used. As they have all passed on, it helps me sort of keep a thread in place between us until I get to meet them again when I pass from mortality. The fact that I know how to keep it properly seasoned, and that it is very functional, and that I can pass it all down to my own children, who would really like to have it, well, that's all gravy. I guess the idea that I will hand it down is right up there with the pots and pans helping me to remember my own parents and grandparents.

As Andy stated, there are other pans out there that will perform as well, or better at many things. Earthenware pots are probably better for stews, beans, soups, and slow-cooked sauces; while the quick heat exchange from heat source to food will give a better, more even sear using clad copper, or ceramic coated aluminum, if a higher heat is maintained under the pan. SS is great for soups, eggs, anything boiled, acidic, or alkali foods, and iff you know how to use it, is nearly stick free for frying things, while using with a little bit different technique will give you great fond for pan gravies. And for SS to work, it must be triply, or have an encapsulated bottom with a middle portion made of a highly conductive metal such as copper, or aluminum. Otherwise, it suffers from the same hot spot problems as does cast iron.

Learn the pros and cons of every pot and pan you have, and choose accordingly. I use my CI the most, followed by SS, and finally, hIgh quality non-stick coated aluminum.

That's my honest answer, and info to the best of my knowledge.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Seeing my beautiful Le Creuset enameled cast iron in my kitchen makes me happy. Therefore, my food is happy and tastes better. That's my story and I'm sticking to it ;) :yum: :chef:

Attachments

• 2016-03-19 13.30.51.jpg
    2016-03-19 13.30.51.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 233
  • 2016-03-19 13.33.43.jpg
    2016-03-19 13.33.43.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 219
Seeing my beautiful Le Creuset enameled cast iron in my kitchen makes me happy. Therefore, my food is happy and tastes better. That's my story and I'm sticking to it ;) :yum: :chef:

There's the answer! Leave the cabinet door open so you can look at you LeCrueset while you cook dinner in your SS pots and pans. :LOL:

One more idea about Cast iron, enameled cast iron, and SS; As I stated earlier, these materials are poor conductors of heat. They are also poor conductors of electricity. It is that poor conductivity that makes those pans work well on induction stoves. Ferrous metals have a good deal of natural resistance to electrical current flow. It is that resistivity that allows them to work with an induction stove.

Induction is the property that creates a current in a conductor as that conductor is either moved through a magnetic field, or the a magnetic field is moved across a conductor. Also, whenever a current is passed through a conductor, that conductor produces a magnetic field proportional to the strength of the current. The induction burner consists of a magnetic field producing source, typically a wire coil, that has an alternating current , or AC, passed through it. It is just under a ceramic plated. The alternating current creates expanding and contracting fields of electromagnetic force. The moving field creates electrical currents in any conductor that it passes through. If you were to place an aluminum, or copper pan on the activated burner, those currents would move through the pan easily, and produce little or no heat. But as steel and iron are both poor electrical conductors, as the currents move through them, they convert the electrical currents to heat. Because these eddy currents pass through all of the metal, there are no natural hot spots on the pan, as there is no direct contact to a heat source. The pans themselves are the heat source. Glass and ceramic are pure resistors and the magnetic waves of energy simply pass through them with no energy transfer to the material.

Now you know why the burner never gets hot on an inductive stove, only the cooking vessel. Induction stoves are the most efficient electric stoves as all of the energy applied creates heat only in the pot or pan. None is wasted as hot gas, or thermal radiation that goes beyond the pan and into the room.

So kids, that's another plus for cast iron and SS. These are the only pots and pans that will work with induction stoves, and give you all of the advantages of gas, with none of the drawbacks, such as possibly harmful byproducts of burning liquid propane or natural gas inside you home, and minimal danger of fires. The only downside is that when electrical power is lost to your home, your stove won't work. You can light gas burners with a kitchen match.

Is that too much info?:wacko:

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Back
Top Bottom