"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 08-01-2004, 06:56 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Ok...I see no need to cook eggs on anything but Non-Stick. Its way easy and easy to clean up.

Old 08-01-2004, 07:02 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Check this out.

http://whatscookingamerica.net/eggs.htm

Old 08-01-2004, 07:52 PM   #13
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Thanks for the egg site Bangbang. It has some great information.

:) Barbara
Old 08-22-2004, 12:08 PM   #14
Assistant Cook

I do not have "non-stick" pans in my kitchen as I dont care for them. I have a separate cast iron skillet that I use for such as eggs and french toast.

I learned from an elderly cook on my first job how to care for an egg pan. The first rule is to not wash the pan. Let me explain. You do not want to soak the pan in hot soapy water. I wipe/wash mine out with a soapy wash rag then rinse with cold water and dry.

The next thing is to never boil, braze, or steam in the pan. Next dont cook meat in it.

To get a seasoning started on the pan, use pam or other cooking spray later using a combination of butter and veg oil should be fine.

I also find that corn oil does not treat an egg pan well.

After cleanig spraying or wiping with oil is a goog idea. The idea of seasoning in the oven is also a good one if the handle can take this.
Old 08-26-2004, 08:05 PM   #15
Sous Chef

OK, I'm going against what others have suggested by saying this.

I'm assuming the pan is stainless steel with either an aluminum or copper bottom or lining sandwiched between the stainless steel.

Your pan is probably too hot. Keep the heat lower than you normally use it. I wouldn't go above a medium heat setting. Be generous with the oil.

It's essential that the pan be absolutely clean and smooth. If you had boiled any water in it, chances are there's a mineral coating in the pan that will cause the eggs and other foods to stick. You need to wash and polish the surface using a stainless steel cleaner such as Bar Keepers Friend, Cameo, or any similar none or low abrasive powder cleaner.

There is no need to season stainless steel pans. In fact, seasoning and stainless steel just don't go together. It is, however, essential that the pans are absolutely clean and smooth.
Old 10-28-2004, 05:38 PM   #16
Assistant Cook

Re: Eggs in a 'Stick Pan'- cookware question

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewGuy
I've only ever cooked on a non-stick pan until now. I've been given a gift - Wolfgang Puck cookware. No matter what I try, my eggs stick horribly to the pans. French toast is just as bad. I can make them swim in butter and/or olive oil and they still stick. What am I doing wrong?

Help!
Try this and all your problems it will be solved [link removed]
Old 10-29-2004, 02:36 PM   #17
Master Chef

Wolfgang Puck's stainless is basically like Emeril's - SS with an encapsulated aluminum disk on the botton.

First - NO - DO NOT try to season it like cast iron - you'll only mess it up and make things stick. As someone noted - SS has to be spotless to be non-stick.

Second - this stuff is a little tricky until you learn how to use it ... it's real easy to over heat it. Keep your temp to medium or below. I usually go somewhere between low (egg scrambles) and a little less than medium (fried eggs).

Repeat after me .... "Hot pan + cold oil .... food will not stick". How many years did the Frugal Gourmet try to drum that mantra into our heads, gang?