"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 05-20-2003, 09:45 AM   #1
Senior Cook

Eggs in a 'Stick Pan'- cookware question

I've only ever cooked on a non-stick pan until now. I've been given a gift - Wolfgang Puck cookware. No matter what I try, my eggs stick horribly to the pans. French toast is just as bad. I can make them swim in butter and/or olive oil and they still stick. What am I doing wrong?

Help!

Old 05-20-2003, 06:00 PM   #2
Assistant Cook

Eggs in a 'Stick Pan'

In addition to using enough butter/oil/etc. the only other wway I've found that works is to heat up a heavy, thick bottom pan slowly (burner on med or med/hi at most) until it's very hot. Then add butter/oil, followed by the eggs. This should work. I've been able to cook eggs over easy with little sticking this way.

Old 05-23-2003, 11:40 PM   #3
Senior Cook

Hi, New Guy! You are probably not doing anything wrong - you've just got a new skillet that hasn't learned yet how to conduct itself in the better circles. I'm not familiar w/Wolfgang Puck pots and pans, but if your skillet is ovenproof, including the handles, you can season it as if it were made of cast iron. Otherwise, get yourself a can of Crisco butter spray and spray your skillet generously before breaking the eggs into it. Since I've begun doing this in my own oh-so-stick little skillet, I've even learned how to flip eggs over easy without a spatula. (And BOY, do I think I'm the hot stuff!! ) Anyway, give it a try and let us know what happens.

PS Crisco butter spray tastes--to me, anyway--exactly like unsalted butter. Makes me feel (almost) like I'm back on the family farm, cooking with all that fresh milk, butter, cream . . .

PPS For over easy, I also spray the top of each egg right after it goes in the pan.
Old 05-26-2003, 04:25 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
I'm not sure about "seasoning" a pan like that leigh - at least I think! LOL

A friend borrowed one of my Calphalon pans and gave it back to me "seasoned" like you would do cast iron - I had to work my tail off to get that stuff off. It does not react like cast iron unfortunately.

The best way to create a non-stick surface is hot pan, cold oil, i.e., heat pan first, when hot add cold oil - just like WhoKnew said.

However, I bought a little non-stick surface pan just for eggs. I do like my cookware without a non-stick surface as a rule though. You just have to remember hot pan, cold oil. And, if you have anything that sticks to the bottom after cooking the best way to unstick it is to remove the food and deglaze your pan - if you're not going to make a sauce or gravy then just use water - add the water to the hot pan and stir with a wooden spoon. Those bits will come right up.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2003, 09:45 PM   #5
Senior Cook

Oh dear - not to mention Oops :oops: . Hope nobody has tried my not-so-bright idea! Getting baked-on oil off a pan is a chore that shouldn't be wished on anybody (well, almost anybody lol).

Glad to see you back, elf!!! :D :D :D It has been--as Snoopy would say--a dark and lonely night on this board!! :(
Old 05-26-2003, 11:36 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Thanks for the welcome back leigh!

LOL - when I got that pan back it was a glued on mess of sticky oily yuck! LOL We've had some severe storms here and since my husband is an insurance adjuster and I do the typing we have been extremely busy AND on top of that my computer keeps locking up. I've tried everything so I guess it's time to reformat the hard drive.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2003, 12:13 AM   #7
Senior Cook

hi Kitchenelf,
you could reformat the hard drive....or you could just buy a Mac.
:D
sorry, I'm a huge Mac lover, so I had to throw that in there....back to the drinking, now.

Wine in a box is better than no wine at all.
carnivore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2003, 11:57 AM   #8
Senior Cook

I love Big Mac's too carnivore :P
Old 02-12-2004, 12:55 PM   #9
Assistant Cook

First get your pan HOT.
Then get your butter/oil/bacon fat HOT.
Then add eggs (or whatever)
Lou
Old 07-19-2004, 11:02 AM   #10
Assistant Cook

Re: Eggs in a 'Stick Pan'- cookware question

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewGuy
I've only ever cooked on a non-stick pan until now. I've been given a gift - Wolfgang Puck cookware. No matter what I try, my eggs stick horribly to the pans. French toast is just as bad. I can make them swim in butter and/or olive oil and they still stick. What am I doing wrong?

Help!
here you go try this link [link removed]