"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware
Old 03-02-2007, 09:50 AM   #11
Senior Cook
Get a George Foreman Champ grill.
It's great for grilled chede and even burgers.

Amazon.com: George Foreman GR10AWHT Champ Grill: Kitchen & Housewares

Ron W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 10:57 AM   #12
Sous Chef
Originally Posted by Ron W.
Get a George Foreman Champ grill.
It's great for grilled chede and even burgers.

Amazon.com: George Foreman GR10AWHT Champ Grill: Kitchen & Housewares
I was wondering why nobody had suggested this. We long ago stopped using our Foreman grill for anything other than grilled sandwiches...we've renamed it our panini grill.

suzyQ3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 11:08 AM   #13
Executive Chef
Originally Posted by jabbur
I use my waffle maker that has reversible grill surfaces. One side is flat and grills sandwiches nicely. The other side is waffles. The cooking surfaces can be removed and placed in the dishwasher. Have had it forever so don't remember how much it costs but would think it was in the $35 since I don't like to spend alot of money on something I don't use everyday.
This is what I use and I love it. Look for the ones that have the thin flat surface, not a heavy weight one. I bought mine on eBay. Look for "vintage waffle maker" on eBay. I love mine and use it almost daily for toast, NY Times bread heat up, and of course, grilled cheese sandwiches.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead
bethzaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 03:25 PM   #14
Senior Cook
Originally Posted by Caine
You want a cheap ELECTRIC alternative?

Iron Chef?
Spiritboxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 04:09 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by Spiritboxer
Iron Chef?
That puts a whole new spin on it.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 04:44 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire
Alton Brown would approve of this multitasker
Kool Aid - Think before you drink.
mudbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 06:50 PM   #17
Head Chef
In Michael's kind website, there is the Daiblo 011 Sovetop Sandwish Maker.

Fifty years ago we would make sandwiches in one of those suckers over the gas range.

Always missed them because we then kept moving to places that had electric stoves.

Now we have gas, and purchased a couple of the suckers. Not the Diablo 011, which must be the Cadillac of stovetop sandwich makers, but got them for a lot less than ten bucks a shot, as I remember (found them on the web). They are square not round.

They make great cheese sandwiches (you pick the cheese) and many other warm sandwiches. The edges are sealed and you butter the outside of the bread and it comes out golden with a nice crispiness if you heat it right (takes a bit of learning to get the technique the way you like it). Can make many other sandwiches with them.

Could do a sorta Reuben, or a cheese and tomato, or a ham and cheese, or a tuna melt or almost anything you can come up with.

We love them.

We do have one of those cheap tabletop electric jobbies that was given to us a number of years ago that we have never used. But see them all the time for ten bucks, more or less.

But if am in a hurry, just toss a bit of butter into the cast iron and voila, a melted cheese sandwich.

We are probably the only people, at least in the US, who have never owned a Foreman grill, so am no help there.

However they are made, grilled sandwiches, particularly the grilled cheese variety, are great.
auntdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 07:31 PM   #18
Executive Chef
The newer George Formans are actually really nice with the different plates[that can be exchanged for different types of cooking and washed in sink for easy cleanup} but even the old ones make a great grilled sandwich/pannini.

jpmcgrew is offline   Reply With Quote