Electric stove kebab possible?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

harryf

Assistant Cook
I miss kebab. I was wondering if making kebab over the electric stove is possible. If so, what should I be looking for?

Kebab, Kabab and Kabob refers to different things in different places. I am not sure if you are looking at grilling chunks of meat or make kebabs out of ground meat as it's normally made in the middle east, india etc.

In any case either type of kebabs can be made on stove top (gas or electric) and all you would need is a stove top grill pan. It basically looks like a fry pan but it has ridges inside so that the meat stays slightly elavated and the fat and liquids go near the bottom of the ridges.

I make my kebabs this way all the time. Another good appliance to buy if you like to make these often is the George Foreman grill. I am not trying to advertise it but it does work really well and the results are very good in a very short amount of time.

All the best.

When I said kebab, I meant (chunky) meat-on-a-stick cooked over the fire.

Sometimes, I skewer an entire hot dog. It is quite thick, does the grill pan work well?

It looks like a poor heat conductor. I thought maybe there is some kind of plain rack I can put over the stove. Anything needed to be applied when placing the meat on it? A layer or oil?

The George Foreman grill looks very nice. But I prefer something non-electric.

Last edited:
When I lived with my mum, she had an electric stove/oven/grill. We used to make kebabs (on the stick) under the grill every so often. I used to make chicken kebabs that had been marinated in soy and Asian flavourings. They were very tasty. I always marinated well and basted. Never had an issue with them. Also have pan fried them in a normal frypan.

The benefit of the electric grill over the gas grill is when the meat spits as they do every so often with certain marinades/meats, the flame doesn't flare up and scorch the meat!

Why don't you just get a small hibachi and set it up outside an open window or in your fireplace?

I made kebobs in my electric convection oven, they were very good.

My George Foreman Junior Rotisserie came with a set of six kabab spits, and believe it or not, to this very day, I STILL have yet to use them!!

But I could have sworn that I once saw a stove that lets you do them over a grill stove-top-style. Don't remember the brand though.

Is there a reason why all grill pans are cast iron? I been to many stores and that is all they got. Along with a non-stick black coating that differs from ordinary fry pans.

Would a grill pan with a cover cook faster than one without? Or is it just there to prevent splatter?

Why don't you just get a small hibachi and set it up outside an open window or in your fireplace?
- Expensive
- Not very portable when moving/traveling
- Rain and snow
- Hard to find
- No fireplace, balcony, yard, etc.

All grill pans/stove top grills and griddles are not cast iron. I have a cast aluminum two burner reversible grill/griddle. I have seen several grill pans that are not CI.

Back
Top Bottom