Enameled Cast Iron

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

muzzlet

Senior Cook
Hi all:

The Betty Crocker store is having a 20% off sale and I am considering buying this: Garnet Square Grill Pan (12-in.) by KitchenAid - Betty Crocker
Does anyone own this pan (or something like it) and if so, do you like it? I do have a standard cast iron skillet and like it very much. I thought this would be a great addition.

Thanks!!
PS: Haven't been here for awhile (bad me!) and love the new look!!!

That looks like a nice grill pan, muzzlet. My only concern would be how well Kitchenaid makes cast iron/enamel cookware. Poorly made, they tend to chip or heat unevenly. Well made, they're excellent. I have a few LeCreuset and never a hitch in years. A friend bought a lookalike and it has not lasted well at all. A quick google didn't turn up much in the way of reviews. Sorry I'm not much help; I'd be interested to hear how you like it if you do buy it--the price certainly beats LeCreuset!

I second bullseye's concern for cost vs quality. Kitchenaid makes quality products. However, they do outsource their cookware overseas in Asia. I have bought poorly made enameled cast iron and it does not last at all. I have had no experience with kitchenaid's cast iron product.

Thanks for your input guys. I did buy the pan, and will post my experiences with it once I receive it and have had a chance to use it.

I own a Lodge cast iron square griddle, also 12 inch. Not enameled, however. I've never been too happy with it. Does not have the famous cast iron even heat, the edges never get very hot. I bought it to make lots of bacon, its cooked in the center, edges never fully cook. Lodge suggests pre heating it in the oven, that helps somewhat.
I'd be interested if this pan you're getting works better.

Hi Oldrustycars:
I too was never thrilled with my Lodge cast iron 12 inch skillet. It seemed to cook well enough, but I always had trouble with cleaning and seasoning. No matter what I did, there was always a dark gray film that clung to it. Never felt sanitary to me.
I did receive the enameled cast iron pan, but have not had a chance to use it. Will let you know when I do.

Along with the grill pan, I also got this pan made by Kitchenaid: Saute Pan with Helper Handle (4.75-qt.) by KitchenAid - Betty Crocker
I have used this one and I think the quality is excellent! It is very well made, rivets not screws, very heavy even bottom and very tight fitting lid. Insulated handle so you don't have to use a pot holder. I made chicken marsala in it, and was very impressed!! I thought it was an outstanding value for the price.I wouldn't hesitate to buy another piece from Kitchenaid.

Back
Top Bottom