"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 09-17-2007, 04:59 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

I routinely swish/wash out well seasoned cast iron with soapy water. On occasion with a "brillo pad" too. It doesn't hurt a thing. The key is "well seasoned" One thing I never do however is to let a pan soak in soapy water. Just a quick wash, and dry, and it's ready to go again.

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 05:08 PM   #12
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to keltin
You know its odd, but when I was younger and learning to cook, I thought cast iron was an old outdated el-cheapo thing of the past, and I couldnt fathom ever using it. About 5 years ago, I saw the error in my thinking and have been an avid user of cast iron ever since. I was even fortunate enough to inherit two very old pans from DWs side of the family....and one piece is a Griswold.

Its amazing that something as simple as cast iron cookware has not only stood the test of time, but is still one of the best pieces of cookware you can own.

Old 09-17-2007, 05:23 PM   #13
Assistant Cook

Thanks for the cleaning info. Keltin, great explanation! I'd seen on Le Creuset's webpage about how it was okay to use high heat for boiling water and was confused. You explained it very nicely.

~K
Old 09-17-2007, 05:29 PM   #14
Head Chef

Almost all of my cookware is cast iron. The 8 black pots and skillets are Lodge, the rest of the 18 pieces are LeCreuset. I wouldn't think of putting soap in my Lodge pans. According to the Lodge people, you will remove the oil in the pores of the iron which is what seasoning does. It seals the pores with the fat you rub the pan with. I never have a sticking problem with my black skillets. They have developed a smooth, shiny black surface. Maybe it's because I never use soap. If I have something that sticks slightly I put the pan on the burner for a minute with a cup of water bringing it to a boil while we have dinner. By the time we're done the pan cleans easily with a slight rub. I have read several times that food bacteria is killed at 160 degrees (which is why your dishwasher water should be at that temp) so if you clean your CI skillet with a stiff nylon brush and very hot water, dry thoroughly then rub the inside with a little Crisco and back on the burner for a minute or two, you will develop a bacteria free, non-stick, beautiful piece of cookware. I wouldn't cook with anything else.
Old 09-17-2007, 05:29 PM   #15
Master Chef

I've got Griswold, Wagner, and Lodge. They cook equally well. The beauty of the Griswold is it's lighter weight and smoother finish. The Wagner is also smoother than is the Lodge. But once you've used the Lodge for a season or three, then the buidup of carbon will create a very smooth surface for you to cook on. Even before it's smooth, once it's seasoned properly, cleanup is a snap and it will release most foods readily.

Go to garage sales to find the best cast iron. It's cheaper too. Oh, and I use regular Dawn dish soap and hot water in mine all the time. It cuts the grease without taking off the seasoning. But like was said in the post above, don't let it soak in soapy water. And if you take it camping, you can even scour your cast iron with sand! Another absolute mistake is dropping a sizzling hot cast iron an into cold water. This could result in catastrophic failure of the metal, just like putting hot water into a cold glass or a hot glass into cold water. Cast isron has very little flexibility and the expansion/contraction forces caused by too rapid temperature change can make the metal crack.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 05:33 PM   #16
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to keltin
Quote:
Originally Posted by k_young221 View Post
Thanks for the cleaning info. Keltin, great explanation! I'd seen on Le Creuset's webpage about how it was okay to use high heat for boiling water and was confused. You explained it very nicely.

~K
No problem! Glad to help out in an Alton Brown sort of way!
Old 09-21-2007, 10:04 AM   #17
Cook

Hi Everyone,

I read somewhere that Lodge is only going to make factory pre-seasoned cast iron pieces going forward. That sounds kinda good to me. But, what does everyone else think?

Thanks!

-Mary
Old 09-21-2007, 10:09 AM   #18
Chief Eating Officer

I think it is a way for them to be able to charge a few bucks more, but I am not opposed to it. Their pre-season process is the same way they instruct people to season at home, just on a larger scale.